Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i >

Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i

Old 08-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read that European scopes do not have quite as much eye relief as American scopes do so I would check that out if I was mounting one on a hard kicking rifle. I have a Terra on a 6.5X55 Swedish so that is not a problem, the eye relief on it is supposed to be 3.55 inches.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also the OP is shooting at low light levels so I feel the need to explain exit pupil to him. The average human eye will go to around 5mm in low light. That means any optic has to have a exit pupil of at least 5mm to appear bright enough to see through. Exit pupil is the diameter of light the optic has at the eye relief distance (3-4" depending on the scope). To determine the exit pupil of the scope simply divide the power wherever the scope is turned to into the objective lens diameter. For example a scope with 50mm objective lens can be turned to 10x and have a 5mm exit pupil. That means you will need to have the scope's power or zoom no higher than 10x to still have a clear, bright view. You may have it cranked anywhere from (example the Zeiss Conquest 3x-15x-50mm) 3x to 10x and have a bright view. If you crank it higher than 10x max, it'll instantly become so dark of sight picture you won't see much of anything because the exit pupil will be smaller than 5mm. During the day when the sun is bright the pupil of the eye is significantly smaller so you may turn the scope all the way up and have a exit pupil large enough to see through the scope. I'd recommend keeping the scope zoom cranked to 10x max, and I ALWAYS hunt with a scope turned to bottom zoom setting for larger field of view in case a deer jumps up from almost under my feet and takes off. If you have a longer distance shot opportunity you'll likely have time to crank the zoom up.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I have both Zeiss and Leopold products. The Zeiss is IMO a better product. There is more than clarity and low lite brightness going into a quality scope. Both make great scopes with top rated glass. I just always liked Zeiss better.