Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope Options for 6.5 creedmore >

Scope Options for 6.5 creedmore

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope Options for 6.5 creedmore

Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
Low light conditions are much better/clearer on the Monarch as well and while it is a 50mm objective, I don't believe the Vortex would be any better if it also had a 50.
It would be. Exit pupil diameter is what dictates the compression of light sent to your eye, a 42mm runs about 20% less light than a 50mm at the same zoom setting. If you were comparing the Nikon at 15x vs. the Vortex at 16x, you're talking about more than 25% more light passed by the Nikon, and if you were at the opposite end running 3x and 4x respectively, it's almost 60% more light. At the top end, you're talking about about 2.5mm exit pupil with the vortex, which for some people, is as small as their pupil can possible constrict, let alone when their eyes (especially their off eye) are dilated wide in low light.

A more fair test would be to run the Nikon at 15x, and the Vortex at 12.5x. That'll put both at 3.33mm exit pupil.

Nikons generally do have better resolution and better contrast than Vortex of similar price points, but that's not saying much. Nikons also tend to have much worse edge distortion than the Vortex's, or really, any other mainstream brand. Not a big deal for hunting, but it's a headache waiting to happen if you spend much time in the scope. Neither are famous for tracking or adjustment consistency, but for a hunter, both are serviceable.

If a guy buys on political history, then Nikon wouldn't be on any hunter's list. They make their money from their camera lines, not from sport optics, so their lobbyist money gets directed by dems and libs - lots of support for anti-hunting organizations. I'm not usually one to follow politics, but Nikon is one which I don't believe deserves our money. To each their own, I suppose.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

reckon he ever looked through a night force?
RR
Old 12-04-2017, 04:24 AM
Spike

I vote Leupold vx3. It's really a good scope

Last edited by John_1979; 12-20-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Silverbullet. I'll be picking something up after New Years. Have a few gift cards to burn up and will probably be getting another one as a gift. I will post a picture of the setup when it's ready to fire.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 AM
Spike

Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x42 is a good scope. Yoy can try this one.