HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Need assistance picking correct rings please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/408459-need-assistance-picking-correct-rings-please.html)

Joshr 08-24-2016 12:42 PM

Need assistance picking correct rings please

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS and need some help getting the correct rings for my scope. i have listed the parts i have below. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Remington 700 SPS .308 (Sporter profile)
Seekins Precision 0 MOA scope base with recoil lug
Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP Mil-Dot with sun guard and Scope caps
Bell and Carlson Metalist Sporter stock

Can anyone point me to the right size rings? not really huge on preference however im trying to stay below a total build cost of 1350 and im at 1240 right now and would still like to pickup a Harris type bipod. i can bump up a bit higher if need be but trying not to go over 1400.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT.

Oldtimr 08-24-2016 01:27 PM

The size of the rings is dependent on the diameter of the scope tube.

Joshr 08-24-2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4270583)
The size of the rings is dependent on the diameter of the scope tube.

30mm. i know that part. my bad i should have been more clear with what i was looking for. im looking for the HEIGHT that i would need.

super_hunt54 08-24-2016 01:39 PM

That is according to your shooting distance and mounting (cheek weld). It's more up to you and what you feel comfortable with as far as height. If you plan on shooting long range you may want higher rings for MOA increase. Nothing we could really help you with for either choice. It's more up to you and your comfort level.

Oldtimr 08-24-2016 01:53 PM

Yep, he should go to a gun shop and try various height rings and find what suits him best.

Ridge Runner 08-24-2016 02:42 PM

I run med. seekins rings on a 20 moa base with a loopy 8.5x20x50 mark 4 in them. I think you could get by with lows.
RR

mrbb 08-24-2016 03:48 PM

med high rings will be more than enough, at a 44 MM objective, I have mounted a few 50's on med's Leopold bases and rings
Burris makes nice 30 Mm rings, just stuck them on a .223 with a 50 mm objective scope
most scopes will determine EYE relief and if you need rings to adjust for or not, all depends on where the scope's parts are hard mounted to them
, as they relate to how far you can slide the scope forward or backwards in the rings before they hit the windage/elevation knobs, or the scopes eye piece adjustment rings

NOT all scopes have the same amount of room for things, and that;'s why they also sell rings with different mountings to allow for them if needed
you will know real fast once you get them LOL if you have clearance or not<

Nomercy448 08-25-2016 09:45 AM

That scope has a ~50mm diameter objective body (not lens), with a 30mm tube. So there's about 10mm of objective hanging below the tube bottom, or 0.4", which is usually just a little too high for a medium, so you'd need a high ring if you were mounting on a model where the mount/rail is under the entire scope (like a Ruger Precision Rifle, or AR-15). BUT!!!! Since you're not mounting on a flat top rail, and your Seekins base isn't full length, you'll be able to lower the scope, so medium will work fine, maybe even lows.

One trick - since you have the rifle and the optic - grab an old deck of playing cards and cut the whole deck into quarters, lock the rifle in a vise, set the decks of card strips on the optic rail and set the scope on it, with the adjustment boss between the stacks of cards. Take cards out of both stacks until your objective bell is about 1/8" clear of the barrel. Measure the thickness of the stack, that's the ring height you need.

Superman70 09-26-2016 09:23 PM

Absteel Weaver brand ring should come in around 25 or 30 bucks and be plenty reliable. Set it up like no mercy said. You dont want that thing sticking up like a freaking sail.