Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
upgrade scope or binoculars? >

upgrade scope or binoculars?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

upgrade scope or binoculars?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'd DEFINITELY upgrade BOTH! CANNOT personally even tolerate Simmons after taking dozens of them off customers' rifles when I had my gunsmith shop over the years!
I have to agree. I have a dislike to Simmons scopes as well. I had a couple on used rifles I bought and they didn't hold up. Now I'm not one for the extremely high end scopes and binos. I like the better Bushnells, Leupold, Burris and lately I've been using Nikons.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Leupold used to be THE brand for me-at least the better model lines. These days on EXTREMELY limited fixed income so cannot afford Leupold any more. This especially sucks when Leupold came out with the VX-6 model line! I'm having to save for scopes now so Nikon Monarch 5 gets chosen.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious what binos can he find in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range in the U.S. Up here that is the going price for the upper low end to lower middle class glass. We do not run into better stuff until 7 to 8 hundred dollars. But I would likely recomend either a leupold or nikkon line of bino.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default scope or binoculars

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Which would you upgrade? My budget is $300-$400.

My scope: A Simmons .44Mag model, 3x-9x. It's very clear but unexceptional in light gathering. (It's on a Savage 111 in 30-06.)

My binocs: I have a pair of Simmons that are clear, but their clunkiness means I leave them at home. I don't find them especially helpful.

My hunting style: I hunt deer in Kansas and we get long shots over fields as in Montana, and shots in the woods like they do in Maine. I hunt from natural ground blinds and also stillhunt the woods. Spot and stalk is an option here glassing hillsides and field edges can work.

I could upgrade both scope and binoculars and still stay in budget: A Nikon Prostaff scope and a pair of Leupold Yosemite binoculars. Each gets good reviews as "bang for the buck."
I'd probably pick the binoculars if you really like your current scope. I just wrote a review on the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm which is in your price range. It has great reviews by so many people. http://bullseyehuntingandshooting.co...unting-scopes/
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Spike

I would convert both. Loopy vx1 currently 199. 50 dollar rebate. 149 probably best bang for the buck out right now. Spend the rest on a set of 10x binos. Midway has 100 bucks off vortex binos right now. Natchez shooters supply has some pro staff5 10x42s for 189 and free shipping. Roght in the middle of your budget and good enough. You dont need fancy, just effective.

Last edited by Superman70; 10-03-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:52 AM
Spike

I'd go with both as well. If your hunting experience is like mine, most deer or the game you are after don't walk until it's almost dark. Light transmission is definitely the top thing I'm looking for in a new scope.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

One more thing I need to add from my earlier post. These won't break your wallet and when I was in MT on a mule deer hunt I took these binos along. My guide looked through them and was impressed with the clarity (and he was toting a pair of Lieca binos)!

Celestron - Outland X 10 x 42 Waterproof Binoculars - Black

Model:71347
SKU:2595014

This will still leave you with a couple hundred bucks for a better scope.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:33 PM
Spike

The choice between upgrading your scope or binoculars ultimately depends on the intended use. If you are into hunting or long-range shooting, upgrading your scope with a higher magnification and better reticle options would be more advantageous. On the other hand, if you are into bird watching or nature observation, upgrading your binoculars with a higher magnification and larger objective lens would be a better choice. Ultimately, both scopes and binoculars serve different purposes and you should choose based on your specific needs.