HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Nikon Omega 300 BDC Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/398997-nikon-omega-300-bdc-question.html)

Mojotex 04-26-2015 01:34 PM

Nikon Omega 300 BDC Question

Bought a box of scopes at a garage sale. In there was a NIB Nikon Omega, cammo ... 300 BDC that literature says was made specifically for use on a muzzle loader. I have a "loaner" muzzle loader that has a 30 year old 1.5-4 x 20 mm Redfield Widefield on it. Pretty poor in low light for sure. Thinking about replacing with the Omega.

Any feed back on the Omega scope would be appreciated.

bman940 04-26-2015 03:54 PM

I think you hit the scope jackpot! That Omega BDC 300 will work great for you. Go to Nikon's SPot On Ballistic Program and you can enter your shooting data into the program and get the corresponding distances for each circle. How well does it work? Good enough for me to hit a 4 inch desert plate at 224 yards, 3 times! Enjoy and drop me a note if you have any problems, I use the exact same scope on my T/C.

Nomercy448 04-27-2015 09:15 AM

Seems like that since you're holding the Omega in your hand, you can write a lot better review than most other folks... I'd take it out in the field side by side with your Redfield in different conditions - like morning/evening and again at midday full light - and check out the resolution, clarity, and light transmission. Print off a chess-board pattern (uses a lot of black ink!) on a piece of paper, or use a real chessboard, set it out there at 100, 200, or 300yrds and look at the pattern in the scope - low resolution scopes (high distortion) will make the checkerboard look like a grey page, instead of clearly demarcated black and white squares.

And the reality is that it's really not that hard to mount and zero a scope, so if you wanted to try the new one, you're not out anything except a few balls/bullets and a bit of powder. Consider that to be your cost of entertainment value. Even if it doesn't tickle your fancy, you can put the old scope back on in a matter of minutes.

Major Woods 04-28-2015 03:57 AM

I have 2 of the scopes on my ML guns and just bought a another one for my father.
Great scope, clear optics and love the BDC reticle, dead on from 50-200y

super_hunt54 04-28-2015 10:18 AM

I have one on my TC .50 cal ML barrel. Works just dandy. Light transmission is fantastic, eye relief is great at around 5 inches, reticle adjustments are spot on and very positive clicks, it holds adjustments well. Once I got the scope sighted in at 50yds I went to work on calculating the BDC points out to 200. Was fairly easy to do. You will find it to be 10 times the scope that old Redfield is.

Mojotex 04-30-2015 04:17 PM

Thanks. By the way NOMERCY448, I did just that. The older technology Redifeld was a pretty good scope back when my dad bought it, but no match the Omega. Only concern I have is being able to align the mil-circles should a longer shot present itself. I'll be swapping out the oldie but goodie Redfield. It was my late dad's scope so it will go back on his rifle ..... his Win. Model 100 in 308 Win.

Update ... after much shooting in low light I decided that the 300 BDC was not for me. I found no real advantage to the BDC concept because I know where I hunt, I'll probably never get a shot over 200 yarfds anyway. I struggled with the thin line of the BDC circles and a "busy" reticle. So I sold it to abuddy ... who by the waay loves it .... and put a 3-9x40 mm VX-III which has a heavy plex.