HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Leupold Scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/397187-leupold-scope.html)

JGFLHunter 01-21-2015 03:09 PM

Leupold Scope

I've always wanted a Leupold scope and now I am in the process of getting one, just don't know what to choose. I am building a 6.8SPC, so it most likely go on that when I finish but in the meantime it will be on my 5.56. I am going to use it for hogs now and then will be deer next year when I mount it on the 6.8 for good. I like THE VXR 4-12x50 and x40. I'm not sure which I should get. Usually 100 is my go to shoot. Sometimes up to 200. But that's really rare. Suggestions

the 40mm is 100 bucks cheaper and I know cds is pretty much interchangeable with their Scopes as long as I get the right data for the right gun. If I got the 40mm it comes with a cds. The 50mm does not.

Ridge Runner 01-21-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter (Post 4181306)
I've always wanted a Leupold scope and now I am in the process of getting one, just don't know what to choose. I am building a 6.8SPC, so it most likely go on that when I finish but in the meantime it will be on my 5.56. I am going to use it for hogs now and then will be deer next year when I mount it on the 6.8 for good. I like THE VXR 4-12x50 and x40. I'm not sure which I should get. Usually 100 is my go to shoot. Sometimes up to 200. But that's really rare. Suggestions

the 40mm is 100 bucks cheaper and I know cds is pretty much interchangeable with their Scopes as long as I get the right data for the right gun. If I got the 40mm it comes with a cds. The 50mm does not.

go with a 2.5x8, I have loopys from 2x to 8.5x25, for what you are asking the 2.5x8 is your best bet
RR

miketodd58 01-21-2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter (Post 4181306)

Is this going to be a big game scope primarily?

If the lowest a scope will go is 4x that's alot of power for a low powered scope. You are giving up a lot of low light performance for that extra 4x at 14 power over say a 2.5x10.

Low light is where a lot of big game animals are killed. 4x even with a big ole honking objective bell still limits your extended periods of legal light.

2.5 x10x 42 mm might be the best range of power vs light transmission ever devised. They are fairly big and heavy for the most part, they work OK for a sporter weight or bean field rifle,

For a lightweight or ultra light rifle a good quality Leupold 1.75x6 or 2x8 makes for one dandy of a application.

miketodd58 01-21-2015 06:48 PM

Check out the 3x9 VXR from Leupold. It might be the last scope I ever own.

JGFLHunter 01-22-2015 02:00 AM

It will be a big game scope. As I do go out to Wyoming for Mulies and in the next few years I want to try for elk. I have many options running through my head for a new gun. I am graduating from college in December and I've always wanted a Weatherby Mark V. So if I do that it will definitely end up up that. I think I'm going to end up doing that. I've had a Weatherby Vanguard for at least 6 years now. Time for an upgrade.

redgreen 01-22-2015 02:19 PM

A 3x9 will do all that you ask. If you are only going to shoot a maximum of 200 yards, a fixed 6x would be plenty. I use VX3 6.5x20x50 AO because my shots tend to be a little on the long side, and most are made at 20X.

muzzlestuffer 01-22-2015 02:39 PM

whatever scope you get you'll be happy with leupold i have too many to count and love all of them!!

JGFLHunter 01-23-2015 05:23 PM

I ended up getting the 4-12x50 VXR in the duplex firedot. I am very pleased looking through the scope and the firedot is pretty cool. I look forward to getting it mounted on my Colt until my 6.8 is finished. They didn't have the x40 that I wanted that come with cds, so I got it at the same price plus matched what I found. Needless to say, I got the scope I wanted at a very very reasonable price. Now my question is doesn't the cds work very every scope? I thought it would but the dealer explained it differently and I don't understand. Not that I really need the cds but thought it would be cool to have because the shooting ranges around me have some fairly long ranges and I do like to shoot out at distance when I can. Anyway thanks for the suggestions but in the end I love what I purchased.

miketodd58 01-23-2015 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 4181480)
A 3x9 will do all that you ask. If you are only going to shoot a maximum of 200 yards, a fixed 6x would be plenty. I use VX3 6.5x20x50 AO because my shots tend to be a little on the long side, and most are made at 20X.

Back in the olden golden days of scopes when variable power scopes were considered weak or unreliable . The rule of thumb was 4x fixed for eastern hunts 6x fixed for western hunts. still not a bad way to go.i never turn my scope up past 6x unless it's on a bench for paper punching.

miketodd58 01-23-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter (Post 4181718)
I ended up getting the 4-12x50 VXR in the duplex firedot. I am very pleased looking through the scope and the firedot is pretty cool. I look forward to getting it mounted on my Colt until my 6.8 is finished. They didn't have the x40 that I wanted that come with cds, so I got it at the same price plus matched what I found. Needless to say, I got the scope I wanted at a very very reasonable price. Now my question is doesn't the cds work very every scope? I thought it would but the dealer explained it differently and I don't understand. Not that I really need the cds but thought it would be cool to have because the shooting ranges around me have some fairly long ranges and I do like to shoot out at distance when I can. Anyway thanks for the suggestions but in the end I love what I purchased.

The CDS takes some understanding on how to dial for elevation.

The dial that comes with the scope is rated for MIN not yardage. 1 min is 4 clicks which is about 1 inch at 100 yards. So 3 min is going to get you about 3inches in elevation at 100 yards.

Calling Leupold with your caliber, load, bullet weight, muzzle velocity and your zero along with atmospheric conditions will get you one free CDS Custom Dial System . Just zero your gun with the load you gave them then the MINA turn into yards. Dial to 300 yards and your custom load is suppose to give you dead on at 300 yards.