Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ? >

Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Spike

Just put the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. So far I have gone through just over a box of ammo, and I like the optics. They seem bright enough, and I am learning the BDC reticle. As long as the scope holds up tpo the recoil, I am going to have a really nice combo for a long time. I was skeptical when I saw the price but so far so good.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Spike

I have a Burris with that reticle too, in a 3x9x40mm. The references line up almost perfect for a 7mm/08 with a 140gr pill.
I did have a problem with that scope, an inner lense cracked causing a black streak in the scope and it also wouldn't hold zero. I sent it off to Burris and a brand new one arrived in the mail about 8 days later. Excellent turn around and customer service IMO.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by archeryelk1
I have a Burris with that reticle too, in a 3x9x40mm. The references line up almost perfect for a 7mm/08 with a 140gr pill.
I did have a problem with that scope, an inner lense cracked causing a black streak in the scope and it also wouldn't hold zero. I sent it off to Burris and a brand new one arrived in the mail about 8 days later. Excellent turn around and customer service IMO.
How did it Crack ?

Are you familiar with a Simmons master series ?
I have one on my 3006 that seems to be doing good so far for a second year , it's a 3 9x40 pro sport.
I want to replace for next year and put it on my 270 70 win.
The Simmons 8 pt. is what I replaced on my son's 708 youth.
With the 8 pt , after I would fire a shot and keeping my eye on target ,
the cross hairs appeared to fall in the scope, it was the weirdest thing.
I also have one on my 270 and it's going in the same direction.
I guess they were designed to last for only a half box of ammo.

The master series seems to be holding up.

Why would a manufacturer make a lower line that won't perform and ruin their rep. ?

My father gave me the 270 , it came from Walmart in 2000 and if I put the master series on it , I think it will shoot tight groups, cause with the 8 pt the bullet holes started touching and then it spread out again.
The one I replaced for my 708 with the Nikon, that 8pt would not hold a group after a box of shells .

I'm thinking I'll put the master series on the 270 and I'll use it for rainy weather.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Spike

I'm not sure why it cracked. I got it out to verify zero before season and suddenly instead of 1" groups I could barely get 8" groups out of it. A friend actually finally noticed the black streak in the scope, it wasn't real easy to see. There weren't any marks or even scratches on the scope, which is why I think Burris was so quick to replace it, everything pointed to some sort of flaw with the scope.
I don't have any Simmons scopes, so can't comment. I try to stay with either Nikon, Weaver, Burris, or Leopold, as I've had great luck with them. The Burris is the only scope I've ever had an issue with...well, not counting the REALLY cheap scopes I've tried in my youth, but after seeing their service I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.