Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ? >

Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nikon prostaff 3 9 x40 ?

Anyone use these scopes and does the poi change at different magnification levels ?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Spike

Main crosshairs won't change POI when magnification is adjusted. If it has some type of BDC reticle, then the extra references POI will change when magnification is adjusted. This is assuming it is a second focal plane scope. An easy way to check is to point it at a target and then adjust. If the crosshairs grow and shrink with mag changes, then it is second focal plane. You will also see that the main crosshairs remain on the bullseye, but the BDC references (if it has that type of reticle) POI will change on the target.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks archeryelk1 ! Yes it's a bdc
Being on the 2nd focal plane sure makes things difficult on the fly don't it ?

I usually hunt on 6x , but sight in on 9x.
I really didn't buy for long range, I needed something reliable and to see good in my price range.
195 yards is my longest shot.

When I sighted in ,I did go through the mag levels while on target and it look good.
When reading reviews , I really didn't understand what they were talking about.
I'll be using it like a regular scope now that I know.

Thank you ! White Oak ......
Old 11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I found out that the Nikon bdc circles are designed to be used on the highest magnification setting , which makes since.
Inside of 150 yards adjust the mag. All you want like a regular scope.

At 200 yards and beyond keep it on 9x all day long and your good to go
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Spike

I have a BDC reticle in a 6-18 buckmaster. It doesn't necessarily have to be the highest power, just as long as it's the same power that you used when checking where the references hit at different distances...but not many people aren't going to want to be on the highest power when taking a long shot. Mine comes out pretty close to the first circle being for 200', then the next 300', etc. This is with a 25/06 shooting 120gr fusions at 2000' elevation, and around 30°F. The Spot-on program Nikon has can get you close, then the range to find out for sure where it hits.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I got'cha' Archeryelk1!
I'm going to get one for my 3006 hopefully by next year.

Maybe I could play with it to aim the first circle at 100 yards on the bull to hit 1.5 to 2 inches high and have the cross hairs hit the bull.
Do you think that would work ?
200 yards is my longest shot as of right now where I hunt.
I would have to use 9x to see at 200 yards.
Maybe I should get a 4-12 ×40 ?

How long have you had your Nikon ?
This 3-9×40 bdc is for my son's 7mm08 and he will use it as a regular scope until he is old enough to understand it later.

I really like everything about it for the price.
I hope it will last for many many years for under $200.00
Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Spike

You could easily get it to do that, but I think you'll find that any deer from 100-200 yards you'll be able to put both the main crosshairs and the first circle in the vitals, so it really won't be necessary. I'd just zero it at 100' for about 2" high and never use the circles for anything under 200'.
I've had mine for about 4-5 years now, no issues with it. I also like that mine has target turrets, sometimes I just dial MOA with it instead of using the references. In the summer when its hot my circles don't line up at 100 yard increments like they do when it's around 35°F or cooler, so i just dial it. It is critical in the hot summer on higher powers for having some heat wave distortion, but hey, like you said its a $200 scope, lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Archeryelk1
You have been a big help !
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Nikon well enough (Binos & Rangefinders), but I don't like circles on a BDC reticle for accuracy.

Take a look a this;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPlex.pdf
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I like Nikon well enough (Binos & Rangefinders), but I don't like circles on a BDC reticle for accuracy.

Take a look a this;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPlex.pdf
Definitely something to consider when I start shopping.
Thanks Sheridan!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.