Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Bad scope or bad bedding >

Bad scope or bad bedding

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bad scope or bad bedding

Old 09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buying quality optics will only make you "cry once, but smile often."

Buying crap optics will only make you "smile once, but cry often".
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't cheap out on your glass. You get what you pay for in the scope department.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

what was your sighting in procedure? It sounds like it could be the gun to me....if you are shooting with the barrel hot it can change the point of impact, then you shoot it again when its cold and its completely different. How much are you cleaning the gun between sessions? Are all the rounds you are shooting from identical lots?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun, I shoot with a Tasco Pronghorn on my 7mm. It does exactly what I need it to, with aplomb. We don't all need $400 glass on a deer rifle that shoots out to 200 yrds, once in a very rare, great while. I can keep 3 for 3 shots inside of 1.5 inches at 150yrds. After that they get wild, becasue of the heat generated, and the super skinny barrel on my Ruger M77.

What I'm saying is that its not always about the glass. Sometimes, it really is the rifle, or the shooter.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

What I'm saying is that its not always about the glass. Sometimes, it really is the rifle, or the shooter.[/QUOTE]

+1
also but now you can get the leupold vx1 3-9 x40 for $200 at most place basspro cabelas gander mountian. But most of the time the scope.is the first place for look at.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Topgun, I shoot with a Tasco Pronghorn on my 7mm. It does exactly what I need it to, with aplomb. We don't all need $400 glass on a deer rifle that shoots out to 200 yrds, once in a very rare, great while. I can keep 3 for 3 shots inside of 1.5 inches at 150yrds. After that they get wild, becasue of the heat generated, and the super skinny barrel on my Ruger M77.

What I'm saying is that its not always about the glass. Sometimes, it really is the rifle, or the shooter.
I've also got an old Tasco 3x9x40 on my 03A3 that I use in northern MI for deer where the distance is not real long. The old ones are 10x as good as the stuff they are building nowadays IMHO. Everything else that I have in my safes has Leupolds on them, with the exception of one old Weaver 4 power that is built like a tank!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You'll learn some day to buy ONCE and not buy cheap like you're doing and have to keep on buying, LOL!
Don't talk to me like I don't know anything if you think $200 is a little money send some my way cause it sounds like you have some to spare if I had more expendable income I would love to run a leupold vx3 on all my stuff but for a beater rifle why would I put a ton of money in an optic especially if I don't even know how it shoots it could have needed more work than a $400 scope.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerhunter518
I got the gun used all tore up, rusty barrel, stock missing half the finish and dents and dings everywhere. When I took it home spent the better part of a month getting her back to looking good. I have other guns that I use for hunting I just wanted to get her shooting so I wanted a cheap scope to see how she does. I am shooting hand loads that I use in my other 25-06 and that one shoots dimes at 100yrds so it wasn't the ammo. So I took it apart today at work and sanded the bedding compound out of the barrel channel to free float it. The after work I headed out to shoot it and re zeroed it and 10 out of 10 hit within an inch of where I was aiming so I think I was having too much contact on the barrel.
so you put all that time into it and then threw a ****ty scope on it to "see how it shoots". How are you going to do that with a ****ty scope? In that case iron sites sounds like the better plan. If you search gun broker you may find a great deal.

I got my Vortex HS-T Viper 4-16x44 brand new never mounted for $350.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deerhunter518
Don't talk to me like I don't know anything if you think $200 is a little money send some my way cause it sounds like you have some to spare if I had more expendable income I would love to run a leupold vx3 on all my stuff but for a beater rifle why would I put a ton of money in an optic especially if I don't even know how it shoots it could have needed more work than a $400 scope.
In case you have selective reading, EVERYONE else has said the same thing I have, LOL! No, I don't have a lot of expendable income as a retiree, but I don't smoke or drink and the money for stuff like that goes into GOOD equipment. Try it and you may change your tune! As the other member stated, how are you going to know if the rifle shoots accurately when you put what might be junk on top of it! You might as well have used iron sights to figure that out and gone from there.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 09-09-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
In case you have selective reading, EVERYONE else has said the same thing I have, LOL! No, I don't have a lot of expendable income as a retiree, but I don't smoke or drink and the money for stuff like that goes into GOOD equipment. Try it and you may change your tune! As the other member stated, how are you going to know if the rifle shoots accurately when you put what might be junk on top of it! You might as well have used iron sights to figure that out and gone from there.
because I cant afford a $300-$400 scope it automatically means im a smoker and a drinker? how have you come up with this idea? my extra money goes into my hobby just like you but I also have a wife and kids that I support on my wallet and I would rather give my kids new clothes or buy them new toys so they can enjoy life instead of selfishly taking extra money to benefit a beater rifle I picked up of nothing. you don't even know me or what I have to pass judgment about how I spend money. here's any idea; next time you have a thought, Fart, it might get your head out of your ass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.