Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Bad scope or bad bedding >

Bad scope or bad bedding

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bad scope or bad bedding

Old 09-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bad scope or bad bedding

Went out sighting in my 25-06. I just put a cheap tasco world class on it but am having some issues. I'm pretty sure I need a better scope but it seems to be a little weird. I shoot the gun about a doz times finally get it sighted in. Then I have 5 rounds that are within an inch. With 3 touching I figure good to go. I shoot at a clay pidgeon and I'm right on I shoot at a milk jug and I'm 6" high and right. Go back to the target same thing. I adjust my scope and it drives tacs. Then a few shots later the same thing off target. About 40 rounds later I'm irritated and rifle keeps bouncing around. So do you guys think my scope is jumping or is my barrel jumping around in the barrel channel. (Bought the gun used has the entire barrel channel glass bedded. It's an old school spanish mauser with Douglas barrel)
Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Likely the scope as Tasco's are not known for quality. Do you have another to try and verify?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

no but I can get one. just a little worried that im gonna spend another 150 or 200 for a scope and it does the same thing.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spend a little more on a new scope if that is the problem and you won't need to worry. It makes no sense to buy a good rifle and then skimp on the optics that make the gun worthwhile.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where you shooting the same brand of ammunition?
Have you experienced similar problems with this particular rifle?
When did you put the scope on this gun, did it come off another rifle?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deerhunter518
no but I can get one. just a little worried that im gonna spend another 150 or 200 for a scope and it does the same thing.
If you're worried about spending that little bit of money and buy something that cheap, you may continue to have problems! A good scope will set you back at least twice the money you're worrying about spending!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Bedding probably won't cause what you describe. To be safe though, I would make sure action screws are tight. Then I'd start by pulling scope and remounting to make sure all is tight. Next step is the scope. Decent starts at about $200 IMO.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

I got the gun used all tore up, rusty barrel, stock missing half the finish and dents and dings everywhere. When I took it home spent the better part of a month getting her back to looking good. I have other guns that I use for hunting I just wanted to get her shooting so I wanted a cheap scope to see how she does. I am shooting hand loads that I use in my other 25-06 and that one shoots dimes at 100yrds so it wasn't the ammo. So I took it apart today at work and sanded the bedding compound out of the barrel channel to free float it. The after work I headed out to shoot it and re zeroed it and 10 out of 10 hit within an inch of where I was aiming so I think I was having too much contact on the barrel.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
If you're worried about spending that little bit of money and buy something that cheap, you may continue to have problems! A good scope will set you back at least twice the money you're worrying about spending!
If I thought $200 was a LITTLE BIT of money I would buy myself a vortex diamond back or leupold rifleman.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deerhunter518
If I thought $200 was a LITTLE BIT of money I would buy myself a vortex diamond back or leupold rifleman.
You'll learn some day to buy ONCE and not buy cheap like you're doing and have to keep on buying, LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.