Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope recommendations >

Scope recommendations

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope recommendations

Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scope recommendations

Wanting to buy a new scope for my .300WM so that I can move the current scope on to my .243 for coyote hunting. I have a Nikon Buckmaster and have had it for over ten years on a few different guns and absolutely love it. However I am toying with the idea of buying a Leupold. I don't want to spend more than 350-400. I haven't looked through a leupold and was wondering if it worth buying or if I should just purchase a nikon buckmaster or monarch. I just want a standard 3X9 or a 4X12.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of Buckmasters and quite a few Leupold scopes. One of my Buckmasters failed last year and had to be replaced by Nikon, but out of all of the years and all of the scopes I have not had a Leupold fail yet. I think the new model VX2 is a step up from the Buckmasters and a 4x12 can be had for somewhere around $400.

If you can add more to the budget (not always possible!) the 3.5x10 VX3 runs somewhere around $480 and it is a great scope. That is the scope that currently sits on top of my .300 WM elk rifle.

Surely some of our "optics experts" (a few are on my Ignore list) will chime in soon to recommend their favorite brands in place of the two that you inquired about. There are many good choices, but you will not regret buying the Leupold.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold VX3 great scope, your gun is only as good as the glass you have on it
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold is probably my all-around standard, I own four Vari-X II 3-9s alone - everything else are Vari-X IIIs and Mark 4s. Never a problem with any of them. While I'm also a Burris fan, I've had occasion to test the warranty when one of them failed. Burris replaced the scope, but it would still be preferable that the failure not have occurred in the first place. I've also collected a couple of Vortex scopes - which have been good so far, though I've only owned them for a couple of years now. My Nikon spotter failed me years ago. Although it too was replaced, the experience soured me on Nikon.

As important as your scope are your mounts. I tend to use the one-piece bases whenever possible, and from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion you really can't beat the Leupold VX-II in a 3-9x40, for the money. It's basically the same scope as the old Vari X-III, which is what I have on my rifle in a 3.5-10x40.

The new VX-II's are only $299. Like I said, best scope for the money.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all y'alls input. Looks like the Leupold is the way to go to. Never had one but all I've heard is god things about them. Guess I may become a convert soon.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Add another vote for the Leupolds. I have two VX-Is and a VX II on my three "go to" rifles and love them. You can also get their great looking scope covers that screw right into the scope, rather than using Butler Creek caps. They do cost at least $40, but they are worth it IMHO in both looks and durability.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have about 15 leupolds on 22 throughout 35 whelen. If I am serious about hunting with a gun I put a Leopold on it. I mainly have the vx 1, or the old varie x 2. I like their warranty just send it back doesn't matter if you are the original owner.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Ownining several Nikon Monarchs and a bunch of various models of Leupold, my recommendation would also be for a Leupold. I have purchased two new VX2s in 3-9x40 over the last year or so to put atop rifles gifted to service members on hunts donated to them. Excellent value & excellent scopes for the $$.

I would, however, also recommend that you look at a VX-R 3-9x40 with Firedot duplex reticle before pulling the trigger, if low light performance is of any consideration. I would absolutely recommend a VX-R over a VX2 or VX3. And of the 50+ scopes I own including some nice Zeiss and Minox models, the VX-Rs I own are the absolute best in low light performance. Again, that may not be a major consideration for you.

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I'll add a vote for a Nikon Monarch...I have a pile of scopes, some over 40 years old...I have inexpensive scopes all the way up to a $1500 Kahles. I've had a few scopes over the years fail, but most of them were cheap Bushnell's or Simons stuff which mostly came to me on rifles I purchased.

One of the only quality scopes I had fail was a Lupy vx ii...not to be confused with the newer VX2's...I grew up 40 miles from the Lupy factory and delivered the scope to their door step...had the original purchase receipt and initially got GREAT customer service (and up to this point I had over half-a-dozen vx ii's in my safe, some were over 20 years old at this point)....the scope was returned to me "factory reconditioned and returned to "spec""...I fought with that POS for 2 years and never could get it to hold zero...back and forth to the factory a dozen times before I gave up and they wouldn't replace it...bottom line, good glass is good glass...several companies make good glass, but it only took one bad event to turn me away from Lupy glass for future purchases. I have since purchased several Swift Premier and Nikon Monarch scopes and have had to return 1 Swift that was DOA...the local store replaced, remounted and re-boresighted it for free, no questions asked....in and out in an hour. One of the few over-the-counter no questions asked warranty's out there. I've never had to return a Nikon and have several Monarch's and Pro-Staff's in my inventory and I find it hard to beat the combination of glass quality/clarity, price, warranty and eye relief of a Monarch. The newer Lupy's don't have near the eye relief the Monarch's do in my opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.