Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

famous maker scopes

Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
massman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: western mass
Posts: 128
Default famous maker scopes

I put a famous maker airgun scope 45.00 on my muzzleloader (tc omega 50cal)because my gunshop said it would be ok. he said airgun scopes can take a lot of abuse, I had the scope already so I just put it on my muzleloader but now I cant hit the broad side of a barn. Ive never put any other scope on it. My question is was the guy at my gunshop full of s--t? is it time to get a real scope, or am I just a bad shot? Im thinking maybe the scope cant hold zero. What are your thoughts go easy with me im new to the gun game. Ive hunted mostly archery. just thinking id like to be able to shoot at least a 100yds.
massman is offline  
Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

You get what you pay for. For $45, can't be much. Muchless to say that if you put it on any airgun over a Red Ryder, it would have been the same story!!!!
SecondChance is offline  
Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 16,998
Default

I'm not a muzzle loader shooter but I think you received some bad advice. I know I wouldn't put an airgun scope on any of my centerfire or even rimfire rifles.

If you think about the physics involved in a spring airgun, scopes are designed for the 2-way recoil generated by the spring and have their optics anchored for recoil going both ways. There are different levels of airgun scopes designed to handle different levels of spring recoil (some airguns have more) and you usually pay more for increased capability.

I think you ought to take the scope back to that gun shop and tell them it didn't work as advised. IMHO.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
  #4  
Giant Nontypical
 
flags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CO Born but working in Amarillo, TX for now.
Posts: 7,871
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I'm not a muzzle loader shooter but I think you received some bad advice. I know I wouldn't put an airgun scope on any of my centerfire or even rimfire rifles.

If you think about the physics involved in a spring airgun, scopes are designed for the 2-way recoil generated by the spring and have their optics anchored for recoil going both ways. There are different levels of airgun scopes designed to handle different levels of spring recoil (some airguns have more) and you usually pay more for increased capability.

I think you ought to take the scope back to that gun shop and tell them it didn't work as advised. IMHO.
Going to agree with the above. Airgun scopes are designed differently because the recoil is different. They are specially designed for airguns for a reason.

Plus, what did you really expect out of a scope that cost less than $50? Quality optics cost what they do because they are worth it. Cheap optics are just that, cheap. I notice you didn't actually say what the brand is, rather you simply said a famous maker airgun scope "." Tasco and Simmons are both "famous makers" but I wouldn't put either one on a gun I want to hunt with. Somehow I don't think we're talking about Leupold, Nikon, Baush & Lomb, Zeiss, Swavraski etc... are we?

You learned a valuable lesson for $50. Don't go cheap and buy the right scope for the job.
flags is offline  
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 AM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Warren County NJ USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

I can't add anything more then what was said before me!!!!
BOWHUNTERCOP is offline  
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
massman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: western mass
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Going to agree with the above. Airgun scopes are designed differently because the recoil is different. They are specially designed for airguns for a reason.

Plus, what did you really expect out of a scope that cost less than $50? Quality optics cost what they do because they are worth it. Cheap optics are just that, cheap. I notice you didn't actually say what the brand is, rather you simply said a famous maker airgun scope "." Tasco and Simmons are both "famous makers" but I wouldn't put either one on a gun I want to hunt with. Somehow I don't think we're talking about Leupold, Nikon, Baush & Lomb, Zeiss, Swavraski etc... are we?

You learned a valuable lesson for $50. Don't go cheap and buy the right scope for the job.
The name of the company that made the scope is FM ( Famous maker)I bought this scope for my gamo shadowcat and it worked great way nicer than the scope that came on the gun
massman is offline  
Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 AM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 538
Default

Originally Posted by massman View Post
The name of the company that made the scope is FM ( Famous maker)I bought this scope for my gamo shadowcat and it worked great way nicer than the scope that came on the gun
There's the problem. If no one has heard of a "famous maker", it probably isn't. Stick to well known brands, worth every dime.
Wayspr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.