Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

famous maker scopes

Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default famous maker scopes

I put a famous maker airgun scope 45.00 on my muzzleloader (tc omega 50cal)because my gunshop said it would be ok. he said airgun scopes can take a lot of abuse, I had the scope already so I just put it on my muzleloader but now I cant hit the broad side of a barn. Ive never put any other scope on it. My question is was the guy at my gunshop full of s--t? is it time to get a real scope, or am I just a bad shot? Im thinking maybe the scope cant hold zero. What are your thoughts go easy with me im new to the gun game. Ive hunted mostly archery. just thinking id like to be able to shoot at least a 100yds.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You get what you pay for. For $45, can't be much. Muchless to say that if you put it on any airgun over a Red Ryder, it would have been the same story!!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a muzzle loader shooter but I think you received some bad advice. I know I wouldn't put an airgun scope on any of my centerfire or even rimfire rifles.

If you think about the physics involved in a spring airgun, scopes are designed for the 2-way recoil generated by the spring and have their optics anchored for recoil going both ways. There are different levels of airgun scopes designed to handle different levels of spring recoil (some airguns have more) and you usually pay more for increased capability.

I think you ought to take the scope back to that gun shop and tell them it didn't work as advised. IMHO.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I'm not a muzzle loader shooter but I think you received some bad advice. I know I wouldn't put an airgun scope on any of my centerfire or even rimfire rifles.

If you think about the physics involved in a spring airgun, scopes are designed for the 2-way recoil generated by the spring and have their optics anchored for recoil going both ways. There are different levels of airgun scopes designed to handle different levels of spring recoil (some airguns have more) and you usually pay more for increased capability.

I think you ought to take the scope back to that gun shop and tell them it didn't work as advised. IMHO.
Going to agree with the above. Airgun scopes are designed differently because the recoil is different. They are specially designed for airguns for a reason.

Plus, what did you really expect out of a scope that cost less than $50? Quality optics cost what they do because they are worth it. Cheap optics are just that, cheap. I notice you didn't actually say what the brand is, rather you simply said a famous maker airgun scope "." Tasco and Simmons are both "famous makers" but I wouldn't put either one on a gun I want to hunt with. Somehow I don't think we're talking about Leupold, Nikon, Baush & Lomb, Zeiss, Swavraski etc... are we?

You learned a valuable lesson for $50. Don't go cheap and buy the right scope for the job.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't add anything more then what was said before me!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Going to agree with the above. Airgun scopes are designed differently because the recoil is different. They are specially designed for airguns for a reason.

Plus, what did you really expect out of a scope that cost less than $50? Quality optics cost what they do because they are worth it. Cheap optics are just that, cheap. I notice you didn't actually say what the brand is, rather you simply said a famous maker airgun scope "." Tasco and Simmons are both "famous makers" but I wouldn't put either one on a gun I want to hunt with. Somehow I don't think we're talking about Leupold, Nikon, Baush & Lomb, Zeiss, Swavraski etc... are we?

You learned a valuable lesson for $50. Don't go cheap and buy the right scope for the job.
The name of the company that made the scope is FM ( Famous maker)I bought this scope for my gamo shadowcat and it worked great way nicer than the scope that came on the gun
Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by massman
The name of the company that made the scope is FM ( Famous maker)I bought this scope for my gamo shadowcat and it worked great way nicer than the scope that came on the gun
There's the problem. If no one has heard of a "famous maker", it probably isn't. Stick to well known brands, worth every dime.