HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Decent scope for a .22lr? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/387468-decent-scope-22lr.html)

Jake95 11-24-2013 05:38 AM

Decent scope for a .22lr?

Can someone recommend a decent scope for a .22lr, preferably under 70.00?

Sheridan 11-24-2013 09:39 AM

Did you put the ".00" to make $70 seem like a lot ? LOL

There is no optic I am willing to recommend to you for that kind of money, because I don't want to waste your $70.00

Big Uncle 11-24-2013 12:50 PM

I can recommend a decent scope. The Weaver rimfire scopes are very good. Sorry to say they are about $50 more than your desired price.

leo new 11-24-2013 07:18 PM

if you are using irons, almost any scope would be an upgrade. i have an old marlin model 60 that i got from a friend, the rear sight was broken so i got a cheap 40mm walmart scope for around $20 and gave it a good cleaning. it shoots fantastic, long range head shots galore... it has replaced my 12 gauge as my "go to" squirrel gun. and it's WAY more fun...
to me, the ammo makes the difference. a hand full of cci mini-mags and i'm in heaven.

if it's a nice gun and you have money to spare then maybe go for high(er) end. but if you just want a play thing for plinking or actual field use, save your money toward that new bow you've been wanting. that's what i did, and i couldn't possibly be happier about it. and as a bonus, i LOVE my new bow... took it out today as a matter of fact...

scottycoyote 11-26-2013 07:11 AM

id look for a used mueller, or leapers/utg scope, on sale you might find one for your price.

slowr1der 12-11-2013 06:08 PM

The Simmons 22 Mag Scopes get a ton of great reviews over on Rimfire Central. Do I think they are the greatest scope out there? No, but they are decent for a rimfire. If you can find an older Japanese Tasco or Simmons those are also very good and can often be had used for a good price.

That said, there isn't much else under $70 that I'd recommend.

Bbj270 12-11-2013 07:21 PM

I have a good number of the Simons 2 mag scopes. Some 3-9 and the 4x. Descent scopes for 22s. On my main hunting 22 a Winchester 320 I have a Leopold 2-7.

OpticsCamp 12-12-2013 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4101146)
There is no optic I am willing to recommend to you for that kind of money, because I don't want to waste your $70.00

Pretty much this.

Though the Bresser Trueview IR rifle scopes are near that price, and for a knockaround .22, should do fine. Waterproof and fogproof, which is unusual at the price.

But don't expect great glass, weatherproofing, or tackdriving performance from a $70 scope.

Blackelk 12-20-2013 04:54 AM

Like the others I wouldn't expect great glass from a $70.00 scope. But............... after saying that we shoot a lot of 22lr at targets that vary from 25 to 100 yards. So I was looking for something that had target knobs that I could change sight in at different ranges when the distances changed during a match. I didn't want to break the bank on a 22lr scope and bought a BSA sweet 22 scope. Yeah is it not as clear as most quality scope. Did it work? Perfectly. I mean if all I did was shoot 22lr competition on a national level it would be lacking compared to some equipment but I can tell you for hunting or novice competition a low end scope will be just fine. Unless you shoot on a national level or got money running out your ears who wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a 22lr scope. Your pretty limited after 100yds anyway. There's all kinds of scopes out there that would suffice for a 22lr.

rugerno1 01-16-2014 12:27 PM

Just picked up a Simmons 22mag 4x ($32 @ Walmart) to put on my Henry 22lr after reading all the good reviews on Rimfire Central. It's a plinker and squirrel gun. Should be fine for it's use, although I wouldn't be looking at $70 scopes for competitive shooting.