Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Best scope for .308  around $500.00 ????? >

Best scope for .308 around $500.00 ?????

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Best scope for .308 around $500.00 ?????

Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am familiar with the Leupld Vari-X III and Ziess Conquest. My Vari X-III's are "old" by today's scope technology developments. The Conquestrs are failry new. I have had no issues with either. I hunt almost exclusively in areas where shots seldom exceed 200 yards. A 3-9, 2-8, 1.5-6, 2.5-10, etc. easily fit my needs. Uless you are shooitng mostly at very long distances, I see no reason to pay for anything above 10X. VOrtex is getting a lot of "good" chatter , but I am not first hand familiar with them. Buddy has a long eye relief Viper (not sure what model) on a Contender and likes it.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply Ridge.... WOW !!! 1100 yards is beyond my capabilities , but good to know they are capable of that kinda range.

Thanks for your reply Street.... Kinda clarifies what I had noticed...
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your response Mojo..... I think I am definitely going to try out a Vortex.. Leupold would be my second choice I think...
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Does anyone here know where the Vortex scopes are manufactured now? Does the Viper line come from China? I believe their top dollar (Razor) imports are still from Japan.
I am pretty sure the Viper line is still made in the Philippines. Mine was. I've been real happy with it on my .308.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about the Nikon M-308 scope? I had one and traded it for a new Burris pistol scope and the guy I traded had me set it up on his 338 for him. We shoot it out to 700yds with no problems. He has taken several coyotes in the 4-500yd range with no optic or adjustment problems. It has
Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Second,
Thank you for your suggestion.

That was the first scope I considered. The way I understand it, the caliber specific Nikons have bullet weight specific calibers reticles. The M308 reticle is calibrated for 165 and 168 grain bullets. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay the 479.00 ( on sale) and only its only advantage be limited to those bullet weights... just thought the others were better scopes that I could zero in at MY choice of bullet. The Vortex's Quick Zero reset was more of an advantage to me...
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

You should always verify bullet drop for your gun, do not rely on a compensator built into the scope. Practice shooting, get a range finder and get dials for your scope. A good scope will be reliable on the clicks. I rather spend the money on the scope that is basic, with the money put into what counts on the scope than on a "calibrated" commercial reticle.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by streetglideok
The Zeiss Conquest scopes have fixed eye relief, the 3-9x is 4" at all magnifications. The tradeoff is your eye has to be in just the sweet spot each time. Leupold's eye relief varies depending on magnification.
Actually, that's a common misconception. All scopes have decreasing eye relief as magnification increases. What you see with constant eye relief scopes like the Conquest is really just adequate eye relief at all magnifications, and the change isn't noticable. Technical really, but it's a distinction that should be made.

I like commercial BDC reticles as well, but it requires range time to know drop and distance. The ranges from the factory are an ideal representation of what they should be, not what they really are.