HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   did i break my scope??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/384409-did-i-break-my-scope.html)

Widgeonator 08-24-2013 08:39 AM

did i break my scope???

So I was out shooting my savage .243, and as luck would have it with two months before the hunting season out here, my simmons 3-9x40 just goes blurry after one of my shots... I didn't drop it or anything and the focus lens won't work. It just looks completely blurry and I.can't see a thing! Did my scope crap out on me or what? I already have a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 brand new coming in the mail on Monday only cause I need a scope asap to sight in, and can't afford a really good one now. Can someone please tell me if there's a way to fix my simmons, or is it finally just crapped out? Had the simmons ever since I bought the savage used maybe 5+yrs back (same scope came with it and had no issues before). Thanks guys for any and all information!

Sheridan 08-24-2013 07:54 PM

Just send it back; because I'm sure you got a lifetime warranty.

Buy it once !

streetglideok 08-24-2013 09:00 PM

Its done, dead, history, gone with the wind like scarlett o'hara. I have two simmons scopes. Neither one will hold a zero, one of which never did out of the box, the other one was subjected to the abuse of a braked 7mm mag, and an unbraked 300rum. The latter also is blurry. To me, it is typical of the quality of simmons and their price point. The pentax hopefully will be better quality. If you have a warranty on the simmons, use it, get it fixed, then sell it. I've had good luck so far with the new redfields, I stuck a 2-7x on my 375H&H, and managed this 4 shot grp
Other than that, you get what you pay for on cheap scopes. Best to save the money and get good glass, so it is less likely to fail on an import hunt.

Widgeonator 08-24-2013 10:35 PM

Once again, I didnt pay for it... it came with the rifle. And when it was working, it held zero and worked flawless.

streetglideok 08-25-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Widgeonator (Post 4075269)
Once again, I didnt pay for it... it came with the rifle. And when it was working, it held zero and worked flawless.

Doesn't matter who paid for it, it performed as typical with simmons, when they do work. Worked one minute, not the next. Imagine being on a hunt of a lifetime, or just a hunt when the trophy of your life walks in front of you, and this happened? You can't polish feces, so turn the scope into a hammer. Get a good scope, or save the cash to get a good scope. They say, spend as much on the scope as you did on the gun, and there is some justification to that. Most guns are capable of great accuracy these days. Two things that keep them from doing so, the shooter, and the glass on top.

emtrescue6 08-25-2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4075259)
Just send it back; because I'm sure you got a lifetime warranty.

Buy it once !

+1 Sheridan!

I have a couple Simmon's scopes in the box of parts that have come off of rifles I bought...I shot through one of them once, it was supposedly pretty new and I was so unimpressed I didn't even bother using it on a 22 or anything else, just tossed it in a box with a few other crappy scopes (BSA anyone???...hahaha). You get what you pay for with Simmons.

Save a few bucks over the next year and invest in something with a lifetime warranty...a good 3-9x40 can be had for under $200 from places like Swift (Premier line) and Nikon (Pro-Staff 5's) and a few other places on sale.

I have never had nor looked through a Pentax...hope it gets ya through your hunt.

JagMagMan 08-25-2013 01:52 PM

I had a Simmons Aetec that just went out of focus when I turned the power ring up. Moving the power ring, I could get it to focus, but the power was not moving. That was on opening day a few years ago. Luckily, I didn't get a shot that day. When I got back to camp we set up a target and shots were more than a foot apart! I called Simmons even though I was sure I did not want a Simmons again. Their customer service was horrible! Which made me more determined to get the scope replaced. I finally got one about 7 months later, never mounted it on a gun! I threw it in the trash!

Murdy 08-26-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JagMagMan (Post 4075367)
I finally got one about 7 months later, never mounted it on a gun! I threw it in the trash!

Exactly, what good is a lifetime warranty if you are just going to get another POS that you can't trust. I had similar problems with 2 Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scopes. Admittedly, one was on a muzzleloader that I was pushing 150 grains through (down to 100 these days, lol) and the other a 12 gauge slug gun. But, after having 2 fail, I didn't want to put another on my gun , particularly my slug gun where it costs $2-$3 per round to shoot, spend a bunch of money on ammo to zero, and have it fail again and have to start over (maybe a week before season!!). I now spend a little more on my scopes, not necessarily as much as the gun, but I think there's a floor that if you go below, you are asking for trouble.

Wayspr 08-26-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Murdy (Post 4075711)
but I think there's a floor that if you go below, you are asking for trouble.

Very true. At this floor, you have bought a lifetime warranty that you are far less likely to ever need.

Sheridan 08-27-2013 09:22 AM

Does this sound like a lifetime warranty ??

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/global/repair_services.cfm

I prefer the "no questions asked", lifetime warranties !

I like it even better when you NEVER need it.......................