HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Scope "covers" ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/382553-scope-covers.html)

Sheridan 06-28-2013 06:27 PM

Scope "covers" ?

How many of you use "anything" to cover your scope/scope lenses while hunting in the field ?

If so, what do you use (......and go ahead and tell us why) ?

Just to "stir the pot"; I don't cover my scope with anything while in the field.

HatchieLuvr 06-28-2013 10:31 PM

I hunted for nearly 20yrs with NOTHING on my scopes. If it rained or snowed they got wet & a shirt tail dried em off. I grew up in the hunting fishnet biz & sold a blue million of the various covers but the only thing I used was the rubber bikini covers & I had a few Nikon's & they came with hard plastic caps. But those were removed while hunting. Then in 1999 I bought a Swarovski that came with customized Butler Creek Flip ups so I tried them. I haven't been without them since! I have 15 big game rifles & EVERY ONE of them have flipups on them. In fact if I have a choice, I prefer the clear/see thru "Blizzard" flip ups from BC. Those sudden "oh chit" moments are quicker without having to think about flickin the covers up, ESPECIALLY on my guns I use in the thick stuff! Touching/cleaning lenses is what ruins coatings & scratches them. With the flip ups I typically only have to "clean" them by opening the covers & blowing the light dust/particles off!

Wayspr 06-29-2013 05:08 AM

Been using Butler Creek flip ups for years. I have purchased 4 pairs in the last year, 3 of which have broken. I contacted Bushnell who acquired Butler Creek, they promptly replaced one of the caps. The caps that broke all broke in the same way, occular cap broke at the hinge. I am currently looking for a new option as the newer Butler Creek ones do not appear to be of the same quality as the older ones.

emtrescue6 06-29-2013 07:14 AM

I use to use flip top butler creek covers on several scopes...until I had an experience where I couldn't flip em fast enough and missed an opportunity on a very nice big ass bull elk on an Eastern Oregon hunt many years ago...I go commando ever since....ripped those MoFo's off right then and there and never looked back. I use covers on them when stored in the safe, but they come off as soon as I hit the field now.

bugsNbows 06-29-2013 10:34 AM

I've also heard that the Butler Creek covers have gone to he!!. All I use are bikini rubber covers...cheap and functional.

OhioNovice 06-29-2013 06:28 PM

I cant remember the last time I had covers on my scopes...

Never have one on my Muzzle-loader, the 22 is a cheaper scope that didn't come with a cover and my .308 has a light on it so I can use a flip up cover. Haven't hurt anything yet... knock on wood.

GRIZZLYMAN 07-01-2013 07:24 AM

I use covers in the field when riding ATVs but not while hunting. If it is raining that hard, I'll be in a pop up blind and me and my rifle/scope will be dry.

BOWHUNTERCOP 07-01-2013 12:10 PM

Butler Creek Flip covers been using them for 30 yrs. !!!

Topgun 3006 07-02-2013 06:45 AM

My three "go to" rifles all have Leupold scopes on them with their screw in covers. The others have Butler Creek covers that are decades old with no real problems.

hubby11 07-03-2013 04:25 AM

My Vortex scope came with some pretty high quality bikini covers that have decent polycarbonate see-through ends. Have not had to yet but if my hunt is in some bad wx I figure I will just keep the covers on for the quick shot if needed.