HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Sighting In Ammo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/380488-sighting-ammo.html)

LSGundlach 04-03-2013 03:29 PM

Sighting In Ammo

I need to sight in my 7MM Rem Mag. I am going on an elk hunt next fall and plan on using 160 grain, Accubond, Winchester CT rounds. These rounds are rather expensive. Can I get away with sighting in with a less expensive 160 grain rounds with the same muzzle velocity and then fine tune with a couple of the Accubond rounds? I have not shot my rifle in a few years and it has been moved twice. I am thinking it may take more than a few rounds to sight it in.
Thanks for the help.

Mojotex 04-03-2013 04:56 PM

Here's what I'd do. I'd try a less expensive ammo to verify that the scope is sighted in about where you want it to be. If your scope is way off center, a few 3 shot groups with scope adjustments in between shooting each group should put you "near" to where your better stuff will hit.

However I see no way to avoid using the exact ammo that you plan to hunt with at the range to make 100% certain .... first of all that this ammo groups well out of your rifle and secondly, that your set up is indeed zeroed as best as possible using this ammo.

Hopefully the Winchester stuff you'd prefer to use will group great. If not, I'd swap to something else in a heart beat.

Sheridan 04-03-2013 07:45 PM

Gundlach,

You might have answered your question, in your question.

Sounds to me like you know what you're doing.................

You might find that your gun likes the cheap stuff ! :-)

LSGundlach 04-04-2013 03:20 AM

Thanks Mojo and Sheridan.

OpticsCamp 04-04-2013 06:01 AM

Yeah I think using your hunting ammo, at least partially, is going to be unavoidable. I've had some serious accuracy discrepancies when switching ammo on several guns. Mojo and Sheridan know what they're talking about.

buffybr 04-05-2013 11:57 AM

I load hunting ammo and practice ammo for most of my rifles. During the off season I sight in my rifles for the practice ammo and shoot them often. Just before hunting season, I'll then re-zero my rifles with the hunting loads which usually only takes a few shots.

It's most important to have your rifle sighted in with the ammo that you will be hunting with.

Tundra10 04-05-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mojotex (Post 4048363)
Here's what I'd do. I'd try a less expensive ammo to verify that the scope is sighted in about where you want it to be. If your scope is way off center, a few 3 shot groups with scope adjustments in between shooting each group should put you "near" to where your better stuff will hit.

However I see no way to avoid using the exact ammo that you plan to hunt with at the range to make 100% certain .... first of all that this ammo groups well out of your rifle and secondly, that your set up is indeed zeroed as best as possible using this ammo.

Hopefully the Winchester stuff you'd prefer to use will group great. If not, I'd swap to something else in a heart beat.

agree bump