Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Bresser Konig 1-4x24 Scope Review >

Bresser Konig 1-4x24 Scope Review

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bresser Konig 1-4x24 Scope Review

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bresser Konig 1-4x24 Scope Review

My last scope review got little attention in the optics forum, so I'm putting this one here.

I've been getting some questions about the Bresser Konig 1-4x24 scope and decided that it's about time I get an actual review typed up about this thing.

This scope is in the same product line as the 1.5-6x42 I reviewed a few weeks ago, with some minor differences. This scope comes with dust covers, cleaning cloth, and a spare CR2032 battery. I was under the impression that this scope included rings like the 1.5-6x42, but it in fact does not. I'm not complaining, because the fact is that most people are going to set aside any included rings and get something from a known manufacturer.

Construction

The Bresser Konig 1-4x24 is manufactured from one piece anodized aluminum and has a 30mm main tube diameter. Upon picking up the scope, first instinct is to start turning knobs and establishing a "feel" for construction quality. It's not particularly heavy, weighs in at 16 ounces with the battery. But it is slightly more bulky than most would expect since the battery compartment and illumination knob are located on top of the scope above the ocular lens. The technical specifications list the dimensions as 9.5 x 2 x 2.5 inches, which is smaller than most scopes but still hefty for a 1-4x.

All the mechanics of the Bresser 1-4x24 are nearly identical to the 1.5-6x42. The "quick focus" ring around the ocular lens is slightly tight yet smooth, and doesn't have any roughness or extra resistance in spots. In reality, I don't believe this feature is utilized much to begin with. The magnification adjustment ring on this model isn't as tight as expected, but it is still very smooth across the entire range and there isn't any extra movement once adjusted. I actually prefer this feel over the slightly tighter ring on most other scopes.

Windage and elevation turrets are hidden beneath aluminum covers and produce the same nice audible and tactile click that I noted on the 1.5-6x24. This scope also features a re-indexing set screw that allows you to sight in the scope, loosen the screw, reset the turrets to zero, and tighten the screw. All the Bresser Konig scopes have this, and it's something I've come to look for on any scope that I purchase for my own personal use.

One thing that I'd like to note is that the markings on the turrets (1/4 MOA) actually line up with the arrow. Far too often they're off by as much as half a click, which can be confusing if you utilize the reindexing feature and use the turrets to adjust for distance.

Another feature of this scope (one that pleased me far more than it should have) is that the turret cap on the right side of the scope displays a perfectly level bresser logo when tightened. Sometimes I see the logo on the turret cap of other scopes at an angle or upside-down, and it annoys my OCD to no end. First world problems.

Construction summary: Well constructed, OCD satiated.

Optics Quality

If you've read my other Bresser scope review or PABowhntr's Bresser Everest 8x42 review, you'll know that Bresser's optical quality has been quite surprising considering cost. The Bresser Konig 1-4x24 continues to hold up to scrutiny in this department.

I'll start with clarity. The view at 1x, 4x, or anything in between is very good, and compares to a lot of scopes in my inventory that sell for up to twice the price. There is no fogging or blurriness and everything appears very sharp. Lots of detail visible on whatever I'm looking at with the magnification set to 4x.

My check for chromatic aberration was futile, there is literally zero CA present at any point throughout the focus range. I firmly believe that this has less to do with the quality of glass and more to do with the fact that CA is simply more noticable at higher magnification. This scope maxes out at 4x which is not enough mangification to notice any CA that may be on the verge of appearing. So there isn't any CA, but that may be a moot point because you shouldn't be expecting it anyway.

I'm able to keep both eyes open and get an accurate 1x sight picture. This is a true 1x scope, not .75x or 1.25x. There is a slight bit of edge blurriness when looking through the scope.

Something I've been looking for a lot more lately is rolling ball effect, or globe effect. This means that that when I look through the scope and start looking around, the view through the scope looks like it's rolling over a curved surface. For some reason, I notice it quite a bit on this scope.

The Bresser 1-4x24 has an illuminated Mil-Dot reticle with 11 brightness settings. What I'm looking for is a high brightness that is visible in daylight on a light background, and a low brightness that's barely visible in the dark. The low brightness setting is especially important because a reticle that is too bright will ruin low-light vision, and your eyes will have to readjust. The high brightness setting is really only noticable in daylight if I'm looking for it. The low light setting, however, does pass the test and 1 on the dial results in a very dim glow that is just enough to set it apart.

I tried to take some pictures through the scope, but I scrapped that idea because I'm apparently not any good at it.

Optical summary: Good clarity, true 1x magnification, no CA.

The Test

First things first, I tightened the battery compartment and turret caps. Turned the illumination up to 11. Then I filled a container with luke warm water (about 80 degrees) and submerged the scope for one hour.

My rant on waterproofing:

'Waterproof is a word that "certain manufacturers" will throw around, hoping to fool fair-weather hunters and shooters into thinking their optics are protected from the elements just because water beads off the lenses. The truth is that any optic marketed as waterproof is only waterproof if it is also nitrogen purged - meaning the air inside has been replaced with dry nitrogen gas. If the inside surfaces of the lenses have ever fogged, it's not waterproof.'

First thing I noticed upon submerging the scope is that there were three or four bubbles making their way to the surface. My first instinct was to yank it back out before damaging it, but my better judgement stepped in and said, "Just wait." Anything with moving parts is going to have a couple small pockets of air that make their way out, and the bubbles stopped after a few seconds. This does not mean the scope is or isn't waterproof - I'll find that out once the test is complete.

Now that it's submerged, I wait an hour. I checked a few times over the course of the hour to see if the reticle was still lit. I didn't need to remove the scope when doing this because the container is clear. No problems.

Upon removal, I shook the Bresser 1-4x24 off to remove the bulk of the sitting water. The reticle is still lit and I don't see any water inside the scope. I put the scope into the freezer, where it sits for 30 minutes atop a package of frozen hot dogs. Why?

The real test of waterproofing is whether or not water or water vapor is present inside the scope tube. Nitrogen purged scopes are supposed to be completely devoid of any water vapor because there isn't any air inside the tube, just dry nitrogen gas.

If water or water vapor is present inside the scope tube after taking it out of the freezer, it will immediately condense on the inside of the lenses due to rapid temperature change when removed from the freezer. If that happens, the scope isn't really waterproof.

After removing the scope, the entire outside immediately becomes covered in condensation. The reticle is still on, but it appears to have dimmed slightly. All the moving parts still move reliably, and it doesn't seem like any have been compromized by ice. Magnifcation still goes from 1x to 4x with no hangups. The focusing ring is a little tighter than I remember. It looks like a drop or two managed to get into the space between the ring and the body, because I notice a bit of frost scrapings as I twist the focusing ring out. After it defrosts, I shake vigorously but no more water is present. Looks watertight.

I did notice that a little bit of water made its way into the threads of the elevation and windage caps, but nothing got inside. The turrets still produce the audible and tactile click I mentioned earlier.

I give it a few minutes to come up to room temp so I don't have to wipe the lenses, and I'm pleased to see that there is no internal fogging. The glass is as clear as it was before the test. The reticle brightness returns to normal.

The claims of waterproofing and nitrogen purging hold up to scrutiny.

Photos

Looking down at the the magnifcation ring, illumination knob/battery compartment, and focusing ring

Side view of magnification ring, illumiantion knob, and focusing ring

Windage knob with re-indexing set screw

Windage/elevation knobs

Right view - notice the correct orientation of the Bresser logo on the cap

Left view