HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   3X9 Zeiss conquest or Luepold VX-R (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/379304-3x9-zeiss-conquest-luepold-vx-r.html)

fritz1 05-19-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4047831)
leupold buys glass from ***an, which they grind into lenses polish and coat, BTW leupolds aren't cheap unless ya buy cheap ones, test a mark-4 and tell me how much better the conquest is.
RR
on edit
the 3x9 conquest price averages 500 bucks, the loopy 3x9 runs 300, step up to the vx-3 2.5x8 and the price is 400 bucks and it'll rival the conquest, the vx-2 was designed and built to compete with the weaver, redfields, and burris of years gone buy, ya get what ya pay for in optics, I own many many scopes, some I like better than others, but the ones I like, the reson is not because they are junk, if ya want a good scope pay the money, but no need to pay more than ya gotta.

+1!!! Exactly!!!!. Doesnt the Conquest scope have some plastic parts??? Now knowing that, which one is cheaply made?

chaded 05-27-2013 02:19 PM

I have had both of these scopes (Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40). Both are nice scopes but of course there are some differences.

As far as glass goes I would say the Zeiss has a edge but it is not exactly an overwhelmingly one. The glass on the VX-R is what I would say between a VX-2 and VX-3. (Not a VX-II and VX-III stop confusing these models people! I know Leupold kept a similar name but the VX-III and VX-3 are not the same!)

Eye relief they are both sufficient amounts but the Zeiss of course is constant throughout changing the power. The Leupold doesn't change a lot and this makes no difference to me. Some people it does so something to consider.

When comparing the quality some of the comments on here are laughable at best. Leupold makes some very good quality scopes and the VX-R is one of them. I will take the turrets on the VX-R over then hunting turrets that come on the Zeiss any day of the week. I felt the Leupold had better positive clicks with both turrets being very good. The Zeiss turrets were not the worst I have seen but the top was very tight and the side was okay. The Leupold also does not have plastic turret caps either like the Zeiss.

Again both are nice scopes but at the end of the day I would find myself with the Leupold. Reason being is because of how sensitive the eye box is on the Zeiss when it is cranked up to 9 power. If you don't hold your head just at the right position along with the sun, moon, planets and stars lining up in the universe there is a bit of blur in the scope except for the very center of the picture. I found this to be unbearable to me. Some people apparently don't mind this because there are a lot of people that love these scopes. My buddy and I both do not like this scope for this very reason. The Leupold is very forgiving. I have a VX-3 now and will say that I have not been able to notice any difference at low light between the glass on it and the Conquest. I have a feeling that some, not all, that make the negative comments about the higher end Leupolds have never even had one to judge.

josephwatson 06-17-2013 04:28 AM

Both the model Zeiss Conquest & Luepold are very good scopes. Zeiss conquest scopes produce great quality images for shooting or viewing over a long range. The specialty lies in its design and high power performance. On the other hand, Leupold is very fantastic and high quality rifle. It is famous for their great quality scopes, great customer service and their great lifetime warranty on their products. They are available with unimaginable resolution capacity and accuracy to make targeting easy for the users.

clarkphillips14 08-17-2013 03:47 AM

i need a good dial a distance hold right on and shoot for my wife. what you guys suggest

ronlaughlin 08-17-2013 05:07 AM

The Leupold VX-2 has worked good, and reliably for me. My choice was the 2-7 CDS, which i purchased for $350 including a free engraved dial for my hunting load. It appear the 3-9 CDS is the same price. Using the 2-7 on a muzzle loader, i somehow managed to smuck a milk jug filled with water over 1/4 mile away, with one shot. Myself, i like them CDS dial, yes i do.

My favorite scope is a VX-3,,, 2.5-8, but after equipping it with the CDS dial, and a wide duplex reticle, it cost considerable more.

Sheridan 08-17-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by clarkphillips14 (Post 4073550)
i need a good dial a distance hold right on and shoot for my wife. what you guys suggest

Some guyz tell me they love these;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/eliminator.html

Too much technology for me - I want to do my part, so I can take a little credit for a "great" shot ! LOL

MALLARD76 08-23-2013 01:37 PM

Another vote for the Conquest. It is the best value for the money.