HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Sighting in a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/376508-sighting-scope.html)

deerhunter198432 12-13-2012 06:24 PM

Sighting in a scope

I have a question about sighting in a scope on a muzzle loader or rifle.

The question is how do you set your scope to hit dead center at 100 yards?

That being said i have been told if it's been an inch high at 50 yards that is dead on at 100.

Is this true or is someone telling me a story?

Sheridan 12-13-2012 08:26 PM

Start at 25 yards.

Take 3 shots, and then move your crosshairs to the center of those three holes - left /right and up/down (generally each "click" = 1/4" at 100 yards).

Take 3 more shots and repeat until satisfied................that's the fun part !!!

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-14-2012 02:34 AM

at 50 yards you want to be roughly 2.5" high

WV Hunter 12-14-2012 08:17 PM

Start at 25 and get it dialed in at that distance. Then move back to 100, and dial it in at that range. Once sighted in, I like to shoot it a couple shots at various distances (close and far) to see exactly where she hits.

Where you want to set your gun is really based on the conditions you hunt. If 90% of your shots are 100yds or less, set it dead on at 100 or maybe 1" high at most. If most of your shots are further, you could set it 2" high at 100, etc. There is no blanket answer to your question...its based on how you hunt.

Sheridan 12-15-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4016473)
Start at 25 and get it dialed in at that distance. Then move back to 100, and dial it in at that range. Once sighted in, I like to shoot it a couple shots at various distances (close and far) to see exactly where she hits.

Where you want to set your gun is really based on the conditions you hunt. If 90% of your shots are 100yds or less, set it dead on at 100 or maybe 1" high at most. If most of your shots are further, you could set it 2" high at 100, etc. There is no blanket answer to your question...its based on how you hunt.

................and now we have BDC reticles, so if you have one, 100 yards is the baseline.

WV Hunter 12-15-2012 01:30 PM

True Sheridan. Also CDS scopes too! I know a guy that has one of them...amazing how accurate it is. He can range, dial it up, and its dead nutz. Me, I just use regular duplex scopes since most all my shots fall into my PBR.

scottycoyote 12-18-2012 07:27 AM

a lot of it is going to depend on your load and your bullet, you might want to get one of those ballistic programs if you arent able to shoot at 100 yards to test it out. My setup is a 200g bullet pushed by 110g of bh209. Im 2 inches high at 50, 4 inches high at 100, and about an inch low at 200.

Mojotex 01-21-2013 08:47 AM

A decent method for setting up a scope on a rifle is to "bore sight" it first. Well done, this startng point can put you "on paper" at 100 yards. I would start at 25 yards though. As mentioned earlier, shoot a 3 shot group. The center of this group is more or less the average of where the scope is pointed in relationship where the bore is pointed. Adjust the scope until the group is dead center of the 25 yard target. Now try at 100 yards and center. Then adjust to what ever "zero" you prefer.

As already mentioned where you "zero" should be dependent upon what distances you expect to encounter on a regular basis. For example, if you expect to be shooting no farther than 100 yards, zero it there and then double check at say 50, 150, 200.

Remember most ML loads will be clocking around 2000 fps at the muzzle while most center fire will be doing roughly 2700 or so ... soem a bit less, some a whole lot more. The muzzle velocity plus the aerodymanics of the bullet will effect the arc of the bullet's path.

In general the slower, fatter ML bullet will have a much more significant arc across an equivalent distance when compared say to a typical 30.06 Spr. medium game hunting round. So checking where the bullet hits a varuious distances is a smart thing to do.

You will often hear this rule of thumb on center fire rifles ... 2" high at 100 yards = dead on at 200 yards. That is pretty much true. There are some ballistic chart info available on the net for free. However you'll need to know the muzzle velocity to use these and some require the "ballistic coefficient" of the bullet being used.