Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope set up for young shooter >

Scope set up for young shooter

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope set up for young shooter

Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Question Scope set up for young shooter

My 7 year old son has been my hunting buddy for the past couple years. Now he is wanting to shoot his own trophy. I have an H&R handi rifle in .223 and a 7mm-08. I also have a .243 that he could use.

I have taken him shooting a couple of times however, I am at a loss on how to set it up so that he can use the scope without getting a black eye. I know that the "length of pull" has a lot to do with his ability to see through the scope while properly shouldering the gun.

What can I do to improve his success without creating fear of getting busted in the face by the scope.

Is there a simple fix for this type of issue without having to purchase a custom stock?

Will a red dot or holographic sight work on a center fire rifle? Other (legal) technology suggestions?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

can he shoulder the "not youth" stock? that's the difference..maybe a stock support so the gun wont move backwards while firing..nooooo, you cant hold it lol. he is gonna need his own gun anyway, just ask him!..get him a youth 223 and a nice scope for it..scope should match the gun. dont let him hunt til he puts 40 in the bulls eye, not on the same day..he'll never wanna shoot again lol.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

The HR .223 I have is a youth model single shot break action with a simmons 3*9*40 scope. I purchased it for my oldest son 4 years ago. Since then the oldest has decided he would rather fish than hunt. So, the youth HR got passed down to the youngest. What kind of stock support are you referring to something like this?

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...dShot-FieldPod
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default anyone used this???

http://theiscope.com/wordpress/
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My personal opinion, I would not be out there with anything less than a .243. Obviously a .223 can kill a deer, but if the shot is not optimal, the odds are much lower than with a .243 or 7mm-08.

Is the 7mm-08 a barrel? If so...put that bad boy on and let him shoot it and see how he does. He should have no issues at all handling that, he just needs to learn how to hold and shoot it properly. Let him practice enough to gain confidence. If you are having scope issues and he has to creep way up, you may need to get a longer eye relief scope for it. Good luck man, nothing funner than watching your kid get his first.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I purchased the 7-08 barrel for this very reason... Marginal shots by young hunter! He can shoot it fairly well, just trouble with the eye relief issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
My personal opinion, I would not be out there with anything less than a .243. Obviously a .223 can kill a deer, but if the shot is not optimal, the odds are much lower than with a .243 or 7mm-08.

Is the 7mm-08 a barrel? If so...put that bad boy on and let him shoot it and see how he does. He should have no issues at all handling that, he just needs to learn how to hold and shoot it properly. Let him practice enough to gain confidence. If you are having scope issues and he has to creep way up, you may need to get a longer eye relief scope for it. Good luck man, nothing funner than watching your kid get his first.
223 is just as capable as yer 7-08.(which i own one)...7-08 is gonna be a bit much for a 1st time shooter, which is just about where this kido is. a couple shots aint nothing. he isnt gonna be worried about shot placement if he is worried about getting kicked to death. gl
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate everyone's input.

However, I am more interested in suggestions on how to set up the gun or different equipment that might work so that he can use the scope without fear of getting hit in the face by the scope when he shoots.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

When my middle son switched from a youth gun to a full sized rifle, he had to creep up the stock to see through the scope. This led to bad form and the possibility of getting smacked by the scope. I got him extension rings which solved the problem.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
can he shoulder the "not youth" stock? that's the difference..maybe a stock support so the gun wont move backwards while firing..nooooo, you cant hold it lol. he is gonna need his own gun anyway, just ask him!..get him a youth 223 and a nice scope for it..scope should match the gun. dont let him hunt til he puts 40 in the bulls eye, not on the same day..he'll never wanna shoot again lol.
well..ya gotta answer questions..i mean dam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.