Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

What is the best tactical AR scope for the money ?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What is the best tactical AR scope for the money ?

What is the best Tactical AR hunting scope for under $600 (other than Leupold) ?

AR platform for coyotes & ground squirrels out to +/- 300 yards.

Mostly used as a walking stick for coyotes with a lot of open terrain.

Looking for a "simple" BDC type reticle (no circles).
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold!!! Nikon makes one, (the M-223), but I have personally had bad experences with both Nikon scopes and binoculars, and will never in my lifetime own another! Alot of people seem to like them, but also alot of people only shoot a box or so of ammo a year. Just my personal experience. I hunt hard and shoot alot, Nikons dont hold up!! Leupold makes the BEST hunting and Tactical scopes on the market, bar none!!! JMO.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
AR platform for coyotes & ground squirrels out to +/- 300 yards.
Tactical? Really?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd suggest that you NOT purchase anything that comes in a box labeled "tactical" given your quarry and your desire for a BDC-type reticle. You probably wouldn't look for a "tactical" scope for your other sporting rifles, you probably don't need one for your "Modern Sporting Rifle" either. You'll save money.

Most quality optics manufacturers (as well as nearly all the knock-off and beginner-grade makers) offer some kind of BDC reticle in a matte finish that would compliment an AR - without things like repeatable turret gear, mil-dot or other specialized reticles, and extreme-service durability demanded by true "tactical" shooters - at far less cost.

Comparing apples to apples, I have two rifles that wear the same power glass, one a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50mm with Ballistic Mil-Dot reticle and the other a Leupold Mark 4 (Tactical) ER/T 6.5-20x50m with M5 turrets and TMR reticle. The non-tactical glass cost me under $600, the tactical almost three times that and there are far more expensive tactical optics out there than the Mark 4.

My "walkaround" coyote rifle is typically a CZ527 Varmint Laminated in .223 topped by a (non-tactical) Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x40mm with the Ballistic-Plex reticle. I'm sure it'd work every bit as well on an AR - for less than $425 with rings.... Just as an example.

"Tactical" will just cost you money.... Oh, and a little secret, those "tactical" AR scopes really aren't so "tactical" as they just make sense power-wise for the .223 and marketing hype-wise for the AR.

Last edited by homers brother; 06-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was hoping for a few more responses.............................

I have mounted a Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM with Ballistic Plex Illuminated Reticle on all my bolt action rifles (except .204 6X-24X 44MM Mid-Dot) so that no matter which caliber I'm using I always have the same sight picture.

Didn't want to say that up front, but that's what I'll probably end up doing with my new AR also.

Thanks for the input !
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not much into tacticool but... check out the Super Snipers at S.W.F.A. They are supposedly the cat's meow.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just brought another Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM for that new AR flattop.

Thanks for your input !
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Given your familiarity with it and the power range, sounds like a great choice.