HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   older leupold vari x II ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/339482-older-leupold-vari-x-ii.html)

cknails 02-02-2011 07:49 AM

older leupold vari x II ??

have a browining a-bolt with a 1994 leupold vx II on it. The scope has served me well. My question is how does that leupold compare with the newer models of leupold? How would my scope compare with a nikon prostaff or bushnell 3200 elite? Should I let the scope go with my gun for the rifle with the nikon prostaff? or should I look at trading guns and keeping my scope? Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

VAhuntr 02-02-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by cknails (Post 3767496)
have a browining a-bolt with a 1994 leupold vx II on it. The scope has served me well. My question is how does that leupold compare with the newer models of leupold? How would my scope compare with a nikon prostaff or bushnell 3200 elite? Should I let the scope go with my gun for the rifle with the nikon prostaff? or should I look at trading guns and keeping my scope? Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

The old Vari-Xii's compare with todays Leupold Rifleman and VX-1. I still use one on a .308 Winchester and have taken a lot of deer with it.

Optics wise the 3200 would be better glass but I don't like the view from the Elite 3200 scopes. Feel like I am looking hrough a tunnel. I do not have any experience with the ProStaff scopes.

Even though the 3200 has better glass I personally would not trade my Vari-Xii for one.

gunnermhr 02-02-2011 03:40 PM

I'll give you a $100 for it to put towards a Nikon

bugsNbows 02-03-2011 02:17 AM

If it's still functional, why swap it? I find the Prostaff's to be lacking and the 3200's to be o.k. for the $. There are tons of great scopes out there. One of my mid-range favorites is the Sightron Big Sky line. Check it out.

bigcountryextreme 02-03-2011 03:29 AM

What you have is a vari X-II. Not a VXII. But I too have a few of em. They were 30 year workhorses. They are not going to be as clear as a new VX2. Or a 3200elite.

They were hot dog in the 80's and even 90's. But coatings have came a long way. I too have one on an A-bolt. Its working, so I leave it there.

shawn802 10-04-2013 10:38 PM

Well trying there's the classifieds on this site,though it always the bay or even craigslist if you want to sell it on a more local basis.Trying to shop where you work let you put in the case and sell it there if you gave say a 15 or 20% commission?

emtrescue6 10-05-2013 07:39 AM

I have a couple of the older vari=Xii's still on rifles, of which some date back to the early 1970's...in my opinion...while the quality of glass on the newer lupy's are better I dislike their eye relief and prefer the older Lupy's. I have a 3200 that came on a Browning A-Bolt I purchased recently and I like it OK, but for the money I probably wouldn't have bought it on it's own. I also have a handful of Nikons including 3 or 4 Pro-Staff's. My primary white tail rifle has a 3-9x50 Nikon Pro-staff on it and I like the clarity (especially at dawn/dusk), and really like the eye relief...for the money I am very happy with the Pro-Staff scopes...especially the newer Pro-Staff 3's...but my favorite scopes currently are the Nikon Monarch's...most certainly worth the extra money.

I'll give ya $125 for that old lupy ;)

Mojotex 10-05-2013 01:45 PM

As mentioned already the older Vari-X II's while good scopes, the recent development and use of optical coatings have significantly improved the performance of scopes in about that same price range. The VXII is a long stride up in performance from the older Vari-X II. If you want to up grade, why not make a quantum leap? There are a number of very good scopes in the $350-$500 range.

In my book all of the Bushnell Elite series are very good values. However as mentioned above they are relatively long tubed scopes, why I am not sure. Some folks don't care for their length. A couple of my buddies have recently bought Vortex brand scopes in the $300 price range and like them a lot. The Ziess Conquest 40 mm scopes are excellent scopes and not all that more than the Elite 3200. As for Nikon Pro Staff ... not impressed.

edwardCVAmason 10-05-2013 02:50 PM

Trade a perfectly good leupold in On a Bushy?

Not even if it was a even trade with a $100 dollar rebate.