Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start. >

Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start.

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start.

ok well i have a mossberg slugster i want to put a scope on, a low power one because my slug gun is smooth bore and can only do out to about 75 yrd. plus in PA you rarley get longer shots in the woods. really this may sounds cheap but im not planning on spending more than 55$ on it, mostly because i will only be using it for extended season doe hunts. just maybe a 2X scope that will stay zeroed. i dont know if wall mart brand scopes will do the job thats why im asking, oh and it a 12 gauge if that has anything to do with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you buy a scope for $55, you better buy a few..............you're going to need them.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys in the muzzle loading forum really like a Simmons shotgun scope. I want to think it's like a Pro Diamond or something. Might be best to ask in there. That's probably what I'd go with if I had that budget. That or a Bushnell Banner. A buddy has one of those on his turkey shotgun, and it's held up great for years. I don't like it nor would I buy it and the glass isn't great, but it has held up.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
If you buy a scope for $55, you better buy a few..............you're going to need them.
yea thats what i thought, but im gonna use it all of 2-3 days out of the year. most of my time will be occupied with my bow and rifle. plus im only 15 and cant get a job yet
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey HuntingKid,

It might just hold up long enough for a few shots.......................Make'em count.

Right now I understand there is a lot of snow shoveling jobs !

Keep us posted.................
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default banner...yuck!

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
...That or a Bushnell Banner. A buddy has one of those on his turkey shotgun, and it's held up great for years. I don't like it nor would I buy it and the glass isn't great, but it has held up.
Sorry hometheaterman, but I will have to say your buddy got lucky! I have had 2 and had to send them both back to Bushnell. I loved them, right up until the time they crapped out on me! The worst part is that a friend of mine had a bad experience with one and warned me ahead of time-both times. Now I hear about it always! Oddly enough, I had a Bushnell customer service rep tell me that he tries to talk customers out of buying Banners because of how many they get back in the shop to work on.

I had a Pro Diamond on a Mossberg 835 slug gun years ago and it did well for a while. After a couple seasons it started moving around on me. A buddy of mine had the same experience. For the price it would probably be a good option for you. i seem to remember it had plenty of eye relief.

What it boils down to is that if you buy an inexpensive scope you will most likely be replacing it in a year or so. But on the same hand, if you are like me it is all you can afford, so buy a cheap one this year and just plan on buying another cheap one in a couple years. It will serve you well until it doesn't serve you at all

rw
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Spike

Why not just use iron sights?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by radlad31
Why not just use iron sights?
if i cant find a good scope for the money i will probably end up doing so, my gun does have nice rifle sights but at 75 -100 yrd the sights are covering half of the deer and i would like to make more of a precise shot, and recently started hunting an old strip mine area, there can be long shots.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I'd be picking up a fixed 4X scope for that purpose. They tend to hold up better and are often cheaper for decent quality. You can get a Bushnell Banner for around $65 or a Nikon Prostaff for just under $100. Stepping up, Weaver makes a decent one for a bit over a $100. Sightron makes a dandy for the mid $100's. Check around...lots-o-choices. Good luck young man!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
If I were you, I'd be picking up a fixed 4X scope for that purpose. They tend to hold up better and are often cheaper for decent quality. You can get a Bushnell Banner for around $65 or a Nikon Prostaff for just under $100. Stepping up, Weaver makes a decent one for a bit over a $100. Sightron makes a dandy for the mid $100's. Check around...lots-o-choices. Good luck young man!
I also agree!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.