HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   weaver k1 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/337196-weaver-k1.html)

jerry d 12-28-2010 02:25 PM

weaver k1

I was going thru some of my hunting things when I came across this scope that my wifes uncle gave me over 20 years ago.
What do you guys know about it? I guess the k1 stands for 1power magnification? I was thinking about mounting it on my marlin 336 becuse right now it's got a 3-9x40 that imo is ridiculos.

Pygmy 12-30-2010 04:01 AM

Jerry.. I used a Weaver K1 on my 20 gauge slug gun for years and killed plenty of deer with it.. It gives you the single point of aim of a scope and a wide field of view..It was all the scope I ever needed for hunting in the woods and in my opinion would be a much better choice for a 30-30 than a 3x9...

jerry d 12-30-2010 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pygmy (Post 3749739)
Jerry.. I used a Weaver K1 on my 20 gauge slug gun for years and killed plenty of deer with it.. It gives you the single point of aim of a scope and a wide field of view..It was all the scope I ever needed for hunting in the woods and in my opinion would be a much better choice for a 30-30 than a 3x9...

It came off a 20gauge/22mag double barrell savage turkey gun.Thanks Pygmy I'm gonna put it on the gun.

Pygmy 12-30-2010 01:06 PM

I'm sure you'll like it...

It will be a much better balanced rig on a 30-30 than any 3x9 and will improve the handling qualities of your rifle..

You will be amazed at what a fast and efficient sighting system it is for hunting in the woods..

Variable scopes and high magnification are HIGHLY overrated on hunting rifles..

Many of us would be much better served with a quality fixed power scope of 4x or less than the big, heavy, high power variables that I see on most hunting rifles...

jerry d 01-01-2011 01:19 PM

I mounted this scope on my Marlin 336 today using Weaver base & med rings. I saw the barrel & front sight when I looked thru the scope........what did I do wrong? Mounted all my own scopes never had this happen before.

Pygmy 01-01-2011 07:01 PM

When I used the K1 on my 20 gauge 1100 skeet gun, I could see the barrel and bead in the scope.. However, I simply ignored it, and trust me, I never noticed it when I had a deer in the crosshairs..Just concentrated on the crosshairs and the deer.. Killed 'em just fine...

bugsNbows 01-02-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 3751076)
I mounted this scope on my Marlin 336 today using Weaver base & med rings. I saw the barrel & front sight when I looked thru the scope........what did I do wrong? Mounted all my own scopes never had this happen before.

Nothing. That's rather normal at 1 or 2 power. As the power goes up, the FOV goes down and then you won't see the front sight / barrel.

jerry d 01-02-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 3751407)
Nothing. That's rather normal at 1 or 2 power. As the power goes up, the FOV goes down and then you won't see the front sight / barrel.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Makes all the sense in the world!!!.....thanks Bugs.