HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   remington shotgun cantilever scope mounts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/335324-remington-shotgun-cantilever-scope-mounts.html)

cubfan56 11-30-2010 02:59 PM

remington shotgun cantilever scope mounts

I am thinking about a scope for my remington 870 and they offer a rifled barrel with cantilever mount. Any opinion on this mount or should I consider a bracket mounted to the receiver?

hometheaterman 11-30-2010 05:18 PM

The cantilever method is better as far as accuracy goes, and it's what I'd personally go with. If you go with a receiver mounted scope, I'd get your barrel pinned to the receiver.

bigcountry 11-30-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cubfan56 (Post 3731826)
I am thinking about a scope for my remington 870 and they offer a rifled barrel with cantilever mount. Any opinion on this mount or should I consider a bracket mounted to the receiver?

I like the cantilever design. I used 870 and 1187 and have a browning gold with it.

But its a weak design. I just saw my buddies mossberg that shore sportsman on Kent island mounted a scope. Looks like they pushed down too hard while screwing and bent it.

Reciever based is stronger, but you don't want to disassemble the gun for that.

Major Woods 12-01-2010 04:45 AM

I've had both receiver and cantalever mounted scopes on my various shotguns.
Both scope mounts shot very well, the only diffrence was the need to resight in after removing the barrel for cleaning for the receiver mounted gun.

If the barrel comes with a cantalever, then mount the scope there and enjoy!

falcon 12-01-2010 05:04 AM

The receiver mount is the wrong way to go: Been there, done that. The point of impact can change every time the barrel is removed and replaced. Ditto for removing and replacing the scope and mount.

It might be OK if one never changed barrels or removed the scope and mount.

bigcountry 12-01-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3732208)
The receiver mount is the wrong way to go: Been there, done that. The point of impact can change every time the barrel is removed and replaced. Ditto for removing and replacing the scope and mount.

It might be OK if one never changed barrels or removed the scope and mount.

Thats why a smart guy pins the barrel like tarhunt will do for you.

cubfan56 12-01-2010 02:52 PM

pin barrel?

what is pinning? Is this a permanent mount? thanks for input , I will probably get the barrel with the cantilever mount.

bigcountry 12-01-2010 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cubfan56 (Post 3732540)
what is pinning? Is this a permanent mount? thanks for input , I will probably get the barrel with the cantilever mount.

Pinning is where they make the barrel perminantly fitted to the receiver. You would never be able to remove. Which you don't really need to remove anyway.