HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Call me crazy, but.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/334215-call-me-crazy-but.html)

CZ2506 11-15-2010 11:48 AM

Call me crazy, but..

Bought a Rossi 12ga break action slug gun. It came with a cheap little Tasco scope that had very little eye relief. First shot it hit me in the face. Glad I had my safety glasses on. So I was looking around the basement for a scope and started thinking about what I needed. Long eye relief, low to medium power and good glass. I pulled the IOR-Valdada 6x42 Tactical off my 25-06. Had to pull the iron sights of the Rossi to get enough room, but it bolted on just fine. With Lightfield slugs I zeroed at 100 (+2" @ 50yds) and it's shooting about 3MOA. My brother says I'm crazy to put a $600 scope on a $150 gun. There's no way I would have bought a scope like that for this gun, but since I already had it and was in a pinch, I've gotta say it works great!. If I can get a slug that will shoot 2MOA, I think it will be great to be able to dial in the tactical solution from 100 to 150 maybe 200 yards.

bigcountry 11-15-2010 11:57 AM

I wouldn't call ya crazy, but 6X is not really a hunting combo I would like.

Pawildman 11-16-2010 05:40 AM

..... Just my $.02 worth, but 6X is my standard hunting power, both in fixed and variable scopes for deer. I've used it for many, many years and I'm quite comfortable with it. The old practice, practice thing... Would I recommend it to a starter? Probably not. It's like drinking Scotch or Gin.... an acquired taste...

bigcountry 11-16-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pawildman (Post 3722869)
..... Just my $.02 worth, but 6X is my standard hunting power, both in fixed and variable scopes for deer. I've used it for many, many years and I'm quite comfortable with it. The old practice, practice thing... Would I recommend it to a starter? Probably not. It's like drinking Scotch or Gin.... an acquired taste...

Long ago, I used to go out and practice before the season with my gun throwing up and getting birds in view. I had all the time in the world then. But I think it would benefit many today. Including myself.

TUK101 11-16-2010 12:11 PM

I have bought a couple of Rossi rifle packages over the years and really the biggest drawback to the guns is their really cheap sights. So who cares what your scope costs as long as it helps you to hit what you are aiming at. It does seem kind of funny to outfit a cheap rifle with a spendy scope, but its probably better than the other way around like so many people including myself do, and that is outfit an expensive rifle with a cheap scope lol.

frontstuffer01 11-16-2010 05:04 PM

Try those hornady sst slugs in that gun........i shoot them in mine an u get appox 2000 fps at the muzzle an sighted in 2.5in @50yds roughly +2.7 @100yds dead on @150......good luck an be safe.