HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Do they exist? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/333789-do-they-exist.html)

Jacob Garrett 11-09-2010 03:09 PM

Do they exist?

Is there a scope on the market that the click adjustments actually move the right amout, will hold up on a 30-06 for years, will stay put once adjusted, you can see thru at dawn and dusk, nice clear glass, ect. I just want one that works right overall. I have tried a few and have been disappointed. Seems like I have to get a new scope every 1-2 years and I am tired of buying them. I am looking for a good scope that you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy. I am looking to stay under $600 or so. 3-9x40 or a 4-12x40. Any suggestions?

Also NO Leupolds! I have had 3 of them over the years. Two VX-II and one VX-III and they are lousy. For the money I had rather have a Tasco.

Sheridan 11-09-2010 04:20 PM

I use Burris and here's why;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

I put one of these on each of my bolt guns.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-4...le-scopes.html

Works for me.................KISS Principle.

Same everything no matter which caliber I need that day.

sconnyhunter 11-09-2010 04:27 PM

I have had the same Bushnell on my 7MM Rem Mag, now for 10 years. It has held the same mark since I first sighted it in. I have checked that mark every year since and it has never changed.

jeepkid 11-09-2010 04:30 PM

Zeiss Conquest...

skeeter 7MM 11-09-2010 09:11 PM

What type of mounts do you have?? A 3006 isn't really a scope beater so I'd be suspect of the mounting system if your burning thru scopes in only a year or two.

Another vote for the Zeiss Conquest

Wayspr 11-10-2010 02:43 AM

The Leupys should have done you fine, if not, the customer service would have made them right. I agree with the above, check mounts. If they are good, hard to beat a Conquest for the money. My second choice would be a Nikon Monarch.

Jacob Garrett 11-10-2010 03:21 AM

I shot a .300 Win Mag till last year. I have a 30-06 now. I have new Leupold bases and rings on it. The main issue I had with alot of them is they move a random amount when you adjust them. Like 4 clicks should be 1in at 100yds but it might actually move 1/4in or 2in so if you swap ammo it is a guessing game at the range to get the scope reset for it.

DDMPrecision 11-10-2010 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jacob Garrett (Post 3719030)
I shot a .300 Win Mag till last year. I have a 30-06 now. I have new Leupold bases and rings on it. The main issue I had with alot of them is they move a random amount when you adjust them. Like 4 clicks should be 1in at 100yds but it might actually move 1/4in or 2in so if you swap ammo it is a guessing game at the range to get the scope reset for it.

Jacob, every time you change the ammunition you're shooting through your rifle, you change the zero.
Every manufacturer uses a slightly different recipe for their cartridges, from the powder burn rate, bullet mass, primer heat, and cartridge wall thickness. Granted, there isn't a whole LOT of variance, but those differences add up, and all change your zero from one lot to the next, and one manufacturer to the next.
So, it merits the question - are you using the same bullet weights to keep the ballistics as similar as possible?
As an example, in my own 300WSM, I tried 3 different bullet weights - 150, 165/168, and 180 grains - to see which my rifle liked the best. Turns out that it likes the Winchester CXT 168 grain (Combined Technology bullet)...but not too sure of which powder was used and Winchester wouldn't tell me.

I've had Leupold scopes for many, many years.
Aside from changing ammunition that you're putting through it, I can't understand for myself how you're changing your zero that dramatically from year to year.
If you're that unhappy with your Leupold optics, send me a PM, and if you'd consider it, I'll buy them from you, so you can have some coin to put into something that you will enjoy shooting.

skb2706 11-10-2010 08:31 AM

There is a pretty extensive list of excellent scopes under $600 that fit your needs.
I've owned some scopes that fit your needs that cost me less than a third of that.

You are saying that a Leupold VXIII was inferior to a Tasco ?

No suggestion I make will be adequate then..........

I have a couple of Burris FFIIs mounted on bigger more powerful guns than your 06 and they have lasted many years and never require re-adjustment. Cost me $200 tops

Jacob Garrett 11-10-2010 09:34 AM

DDMPrecision I think you misunderstood my post. I know the ammo changes the POI but the scope won't move the POI consistently. If you click it 4 clicks it might move anywhere from 1/4in to 2in with the 4 clicks instead of 1in like its supposed to.