Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Removing Loctite screws??!! >

Removing Loctite screws??!!

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Removing Loctite screws??!!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Man it doesn't have to be this confusing for the average Joe. It doesn't matter what the thread pitch is on the ring cap screws. Just get a friggin drill bit large enough to drill off the head of the screw from the shaft of the screw and remove the scope ring caps. Then buy a new set of rings.
That's the easiest way to get the rings apart. You won't be able to use the rings anyway, so just drill the head off the screws.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of those little screws are hard crap. I have one broke screw in my rifle and one in my muzzy that I can't get out. Even a carbide drill bit wouldn't dent it. I'm going to carry them to a gunsmith with a gun drill press and see if he can get them out.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with several of the previous posts..... If you have or have access to an electric soldering gun, apply heat directly to the screw head for several minutes. It should break the bond. Also be sure you are using a proper screwdriver or screw wrench... once it starts to come out, keep it coming!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

I've had good luck heating the end of the allen wrench with a torch then sticking it in the top of the screw. Let it set there for a few minutes then use a second wrench to turn the screw.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
I bought a $210 Redfeild scope to put on my 30-06 springfeild this year. I went to remove the screws on the old scope and broke two alan wrenches trying too remove the screws on the rings. Turns out the idiot who had the gun before me put red loctite on ALL OF THE SCREWS, instead of just the base bolts. Any ideas on removing them? I think if all else fails I will try heating the screws up, but I'm scared I'll damage the scope.
Try some Acetone, it works on most glues of any type. You might try a small amount on an area of the scope to make sure it does not affect the fiinish, then just put it on locally around the screw and let it sit there awhile, it should loosen it up.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go along with Bigbulls. Drill it out and buy new rings. You'll never get it heated up enough to break the Red Loc Tite loose..The heat that would be needed is bound to ruin the scope.

That Red Loc Tite is some powerful stuff.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both a soldering gun and a hairdryer to do this. Both have worked for me. I had a buddy do the allen wrench with a small torch and turned it with a lockwrench. Its your call. Cut it with a dremel tool and pitch the rings and do it right next time and myself. My .02 cents.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default screw removal

I had the same problem, fixed NO PROBLEM... Used a 1/4" drive impact wrench, zip, zip, done.. CM
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man it seems some of you guys like to cut and destroy things.

Heat is the simple answer. The soldering iron I imagine would work. You could probably grind a tip just to fit in cap screws (allen heads) and another to fit in screw slots.

I use a couple cheap screwdrivers and allen wrenches that I heat up to glowing with a MAP gas torch. Get a couple of them glowing, let one sit it screw and after 5 seconds or so put a fresh glowing one in and them use a regular screwdriver or allen wrench to loosen. The glowing ones don't usually work to loosen because they are so soft from the heat. That is also why I use cheap screwdrivers and allen wrenches for the heat work.

Over the years I've had to deal with so many seized, galled, rusted, broken or frozen nuts, bolts or studs I've found that heat is one of my best friends - even if it has to go to the hot wrench!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

Are you sure it's Loctite red? If so, heat should do it. Many times people assume "loctite" was used when in reality the screws were way over-tightened. Over-tightening stretches the threads and can make removal difficult. I'd try heat first. If that doesn't work, drill off the head of the screw to relieve pressure on the threads. Remove rings. The screw may simply back out now. If not, shock the tip of the screw with a punch and hammer and try removing again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.