Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Best 4-12 or 4.5-14 Scopes Under $250? >

Best 4-12 or 4.5-14 Scopes Under $250?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Best 4-12 or 4.5-14 Scopes Under $250?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a scope with a lifetime warranty - that in and of it self, means it must be quality, as the manufacture is willing to stand behind it.

Buy it once !!!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

unless your shooting beyond 400yrds a 3x9 will work in eastern oregon.everyone assumes its all long shots here and thats just not true.i used a bushnell 3x9 chiefscope for years until the wife bought me a vortex diamondback.the vortex is a good 4x12 and i like the reticle.bushnell dont have a good warrenty so you might look around,i got my 4x12 for 220.00 and am happy with it.they also have a very good lifetime warrenty.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but your goals and expectations are unrealistic.

A Bushnell Elite 3200 5 x 15 x 40 is about $329 + tax - new.
A Bushnell Elite 4200 5x15x40 is about $500+

Buying a used scope is just like buying a used car or a divorced woman, you don't really know what you are going to get until you bring her home and take a real long test ride.

The 7MM demands that you put good glass on her and not some piece of junk. I had a TASCO Ruby Red scope on one of my 7MM's and it shot like a million dollars and it was only a 3 x 9 x 40 scope.
I guess I was pretty lucky that it came with the rifle or else it never would have been on there. The problem is - as you increase magnification, you also have to have some adjustments for Parallax and the cheaper scopes do not have that adjustment built in and you will find that when you shoot more then a couple hundred yards, the cheap scope just won't be as accurate as a more expensive scope.

My old suggestion was to work some overtime at work, get a second job or steal from your kids. You need to come up with another $100 smackers. Optic's should be a one time investment, just like a good hunting rifle.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Here is a link for a flier ad for Grice Gun Shop.

Use it to compare the prices of your scopes locally with what is available online. You might be surprised to find that Grice is often times cheaper then most discounters and they are not going to go out of business tomorrow.

http://www.gricegunshop.com/specials...r-day-2010.pdf
Old 09-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might could look at used leupolds....iffin anything turned out bad, you could just ship it to the factory for a repair.

Upgrades are more expensive than just saving up the first time (ask me how I know )

I've gunned 9x scopes farther than you'll probably ever shoot game at, and would concentrate less on magnification and more on a scope that lasts.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that in a low magnification scope there are quite a few that gather efficient light and it's a matter of your favorite manufacturer. When shopping for a high power variable, the table changes because of the smaller front objective capable of enhancing light. Quality coating are a must when you shop the higher magnification variables you are in the market for. My suggestion, hold off for awhile until you can fit a Leupold VX III into your budget. I guarantee you will not be sorry for your decision.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Spike

Cameraland has the Vortex Viper on close out, and I believe you can get the 4-12 in, or close to you price range. Check write ups, and/or call Doug at Cameraland. These are good scopes for the price.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PokealypseNow
Primarily for blacktail, elk, and beer, but also for longer shots either east of the Cascades (which is why I'm interested in something like a 4-12 rather than 3-9).
Say what? What exactly do you have against beer?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that there are better scopes available but some of us just can't afford them. I have a 35 year old tasco 3-9x32mm scope that I can see clearly with at the end of legal shooting hours, at ranges that I'm able to accurately hit my target. Although it would be nice to have an expensive scope, there are good quality scopes in your price range. The Bushnell Elite 3200 is a great scope, I have one in 2-7x32mm on my 30-30. Another scope that you might want to look at is Mueller. The optical quality of it are even better than on the Bushnell. I have their 4.5-14X40AO scope on a Marlin 917v in .17HMR. The adjustable objective lens is marked in yardage and it's very accurate at estimating distance to the target. People on a budget seriously need to look at Mueller. I paid $115 for mine and it's as clear as scopes over double the price.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mueller-Rifle-Sc...item255df93235

i just got this Mueller scope for $209 on ebay. on the Mueller website it ws $239. clear as a bell on lower power but a little hard to see good with it cranked up.

you will be better off spending more $$ and getting a better one the first time ! trust me !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.