HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Scope Reticle needs changing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/327863-scope-reticle-needs-changing.html)

srloren 08-17-2010 12:44 PM

Scope Reticle needs changing

I screwed up and purchased a Nikon 6-24x50 BDC Monarch scope. Nikon is a great company and I am elated with the scope, just not the reticle. I called them to ask if they could change the crosshairs to a fine style...very thin, for paper targets, the tech support guy told me that they did not do that and that if I had it done it would void the Warantee....Should have gone with Leopould...damn! Do any of you shooters know where I can have the Reticle changed to a fine cross hair type scope? TIA for any suggestions. A side note: I am experimenting with creating targets that would allow me to keep the BDC configuration, but won't know until next Monday if I can make this scope work for me.

hometheaterman 08-17-2010 12:55 PM

Just sell it and buy the scope you want.

Gromky 08-17-2010 10:17 PM

Unfortunately, considering the reticle is internal in a sealed body...it would probably cost them more to pull it apart, change it, and reseal it than you paid for it to begin with. It's easy to mass produce something, but there's a reason you pay a mechanic an ungodly amount just to replace a simple part buried inside your engine. I don't think there's any way Leupold would have changed out reticles after purchase for you either. If they had, the only economical thing would be to resell your scope and give you an entirely new one.

I just put on a 5-20 Monarch, and I spent many hours considering it before I decided not to go for the BDC, sticking with the duplex. It's a great scope, perhaps you can make the reticle work for you, but selling it and getting something else is probably the only option.

srloren 08-18-2010 08:16 AM

Looking into Craigslist

Thanks for your response.

needs_recoil 08-18-2010 08:12 PM

If you put in the time to figure out what distance each circle is printing bulleyes at, it can be a pretty good scope. A friend and I sat down with his 243 and a bunch of berger bullets (105 grs i think) to figure out where his was dialed in at. Anyway I watched him a month or so later smokin rockchucks at 500 yards and beyond pretty regularly. I know its not a 1000 yard target but it was pretty impressive.

bugsNbows 08-19-2010 03:24 AM

Do a trade-in at S.W.F.A. and get what you really want.

MtJackGTF 01-29-2012 10:01 AM

Want to trade scopes?

I screwed up too, but in the opposite direction. I bought a Vortex Crossfire 8x32x50 (30mm) AO with a fine duplex reticle that I find too difficult to acquire when varmint hunting. It is definitely a range scope, despite the advertizements. I paid $250, the scope is new condition. I'll put some cash to boot the the difference in price that you paid for the Nikon Monarch.

stapher1 01-29-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gromky (Post 3664820)
I don't think there's any way Leupold would have changed out reticles after purchase for you either.

Leupold will change reticles, they have a custom shop that changes turrets, engraving, has custom colors and custom made drop turrets for non-cds scopes.

nchawkeye 01-31-2012 11:16 AM

I have 2 Leupolds that I sent back to have the reticle changed to their Heavy Duplex, it's great for dawn and dusk deer hunting...

I also sent back a 3x9x33 compact to be parallex adjusted at 75 yards for my 541...

gonewest 04-06-2012 02:13 PM

I have a Schmidt Bender scope that has a first focal plane and called to see if I could get a slightly finer cross hair they told me 550 to get it done. I laughed and tod them that I could buy a new Zeiss Conquest for 399.00 all day. What a joke.