Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
scope wont stay put! need advice >

scope wont stay put! need advice

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

scope wont stay put! need advice

Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Spike

Default scope wont stay put! need advice

i have one of the pre-accutrigger mark II savage .22lr rifles. it doesnt have rails and is not drilled and tapped. just grooved. i put see threw rings on it for the open sights and a 3x9x40 bushnell scope. got it sighted in at 50 yards, groups in a quarter with bulk ammo. but i shoot 30-50 rounds threw it and its off again. the scope is sliding towards the front of the gun and almost came off the reciever by the time i figured out what was going on. now i dont know how to keep it put. any ideas? i have it very tight but it doesnt make a difference. theres gotta be a trick to it
Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

for one thing ditch the see through rings theyre worthless on a 22...if its a gun from outside the usa the grove will be thinner...i oblong the hole in the clamp and shim the top putting more pressure on the clamping pc,,you dont want to slam it around but she'll hold and not move..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

ps you may wanna sharpen the point on the grip part of the rings too
Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

thanks for the reply ill try to sharpen them after i get a few squirrel tomorrow. good part about the see through is if the scope ends up being to far off ill hit em with the irons.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've the same gun.....put some threadlocker on your ring screws, then tighten it....a lot.