Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope Help!!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Help!!

Im am looking into gettin a scope for my Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 Gov't. Im thinkin i want a 1.5-6 but not sure what brand to get... I know what bigger power rifle scopes are good but not sure what to use on this application...

Thanks for help,

Dustin
Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

1.5x6 is a good choice power wise, I would say look for the most eye relief you can get. Spend as much as you can afford. That being said, if you can save up a little longer to get a better quality scope you will be ahead in the long run. Leupold, Zeiss, Bushnell Elite series, Burris and the new Redfield's all have good write ups and are recommended.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps a Vortex Viper 2-7 X 33 would fill the bill nicely... great glass, outstanding CS / warranty and priced right.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 2-7x on my .270 which I felt was too small for a western game rifle and moved it to my marlin .30-30, it looks great on there, and is a great power range IMO.

If I were planning to hunt brown bear or dangerous game with the .45-70 lever though I may want something like a 1.5-6x or maybe even like a 1-4x.

I have a Nikon btw, which in the version I have is very nice, not sure about current models etc...but Nikon or Zeiss would probably be my 1st choices.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know Leupold makes or used to make a 1.75 x 6 power scope. I shot a friends rifle at the range that had this scope on it. I really liked that scope.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I recently bought a nikon monarch and love it. I think nikon has a 2-8x36 model so i think that would work well for your marlin.