Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Burris Timberline 4x 20mm >

Burris Timberline 4x 20mm

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Burris Timberline 4x 20mm

Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Burris Timberline 4x 20mm

I just bought a new ruger 77/44 and now I need a scope for it. I have been looking at the burris timberline 4x 20mm. This is my first new rifle so I really want to put as good of a scope on it as I can afford. Has anybody else ever used this scope or what would you recommend in the $200 range. Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never used one but I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. I've used the Burris Fullfield II and I can honestly say it's my favorite scope I've ever used.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the Burris for you;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-3...-packages.html
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard nothing but good things about burris scopes, and from the sounds of it here I'm not going to hear any bad. Thanks for the info. I've never had a high quality scope on any of my rifles. Most of which have been replaced more than once, which is why I wanted to make sure of the quality. But like I say it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue. Now I just have to talk the boss into signing my permission slip to order one lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started this thread on The High Road that you may be interested to see
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399512

Seems like the large majority of people haven't had issues with their Burris scopes. The same can't really be said for many of the polls I've started about other Brands like Leupold. While Leupold seemed to have less people report issues than didn't it was no where near the number of people reporting no issues with Burris scopes.

The only bad thing I've ever heard about Burris about the customer service. I've never personally used it as I've never had to so I can't comment on it. However, I wouldn't let it bother me too much as the scopes seem to be great.

Leupold has great customer service but it seems like I'm constantly having to use it which isn't a good thing. I'd not buy another Leupold. From now on Burris is going to be one of the top scopes I look at when selecting a scope.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another good selection:

http://swfa.com/Sightron-4x32-SII-Riflescope-P9181.aspx
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, I have found Burris to one of the least reliable and durable scopes on the market except for the really cheap (Tasco, Simmons, etc.) brands. I have seen more than one Burris go bad on rough country hunts, but they may be just fine for whitetail hunting.
I have a couple of them in a drawer somewhere that I don't trust enough to put back onto any of the rifles. These are older models, and surely Burris now makes them better (I hope).
The scopes that I have seen fail were all top end priced variable power models, maybe the fixed powers models are much tougher.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-24-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

So my primary purpose for the scope is deer hunting in the woods, 100 yds max. Now I'm thinking I might be better off with a red dot. I'd have to buy a weaver style scope base for my 77/44 but for fast target aquisition and such do you guys think I'd be better off with a holographic or red dot over a standard scope.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

"In my experience, I have found Burris to one of the least reliable and durable scopes on the market except for the really cheap (Tasco, Simmons, etc.) brands."

Big Uncle - Just how many scopes "on the market" have you owned ?

I have Burris Signature Select (just two notches down from their best) on 5 of my rifles .17, .204, .243, 7MM Rem Mag & .338 Rem Mag.

Now, all my rifles are Synthetic and most are Stainless because I aleady know I am tough on my equipment.

Did you have "a" / "one" bad experience with burris optics ?

You have heard of this thing they call a "lemon" right ?

Nothing personal; you just make it sound like you have empirical evidence through extensive testing somehow.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Nothing personal; you just make it sound like you have empirical evidence through extensive testing somehow.
Sheridan,
I have, and have had many scopes and from many manufacturers - including Burris. I have seen (with my own eyes - not something I read in a magazine or online) at least a half dozen Burris failures. These were not failures on the rifle range, or in the whitetail woods, but failures of scopes attached to hunting rifles on elk and mule deer hunts from spike camps in the Rocky Mountains. It was certainly not 100% of the scopes that failed, but that is a high failure rate considering that losing your scope back in the boonies may well ruin your hunt. Thankfully there was usually someone that had tagged and was willing to lend a rifle to the poor soul. I can remember one guy gut shot a 5x5 that was never recovered after the rifle shifted the POI by about a foot at 100 yards.
I have also seen cheap scopes (not Burris) fail, usually fogging up. The Burris scopes were fairly expensive models and each of them had a problem with the crosshairs moving or coming loose but none of them fogged.
These incidents were a few years ago, and I have not been seeing very many of these scopes in camp lately. Burris has hopefully done a better job and is making a better product.
Extensive testing? The best test possible - actual hunting conditions. Lemon? This was not a "one in a thousand" problem.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-24-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.