Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Have you ever had problems with your Leupold? >

Have you ever had problems with your Leupold?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.
View Poll Results: Have you had problems with your Leupold?
VX-I or Rifleman and I've had problems
13.16%
VX-I or Rifleman and so far no problems
26.32%
VX-II or higher and no issues
44.74%
VX-II or higher and I've had problems
26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever had problems with your Leupold?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you ever had problems with your Leupold?

So I asked about the Simmons scopes so this also got me to wondering about the Leupolds. Most here have probably read about the bad experiences I've had with them as well as my friends. I've had a lot of guys tell me they love them though so I just wondered how the numbers would turn out in the poll. Have you had an issue with your Leupold?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never had any problems with my Leupolds before. I have found them to be very tough and reliable.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a problem with a new gen VX II. I sent it in and Leupold repaired it but they refused to tell me what was wrong with it.

I think the Simmons that everyone here raves about are the Simmons Aetec's. The old one not the new Master Series. That is one seriously nice scope. I have three of them.

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have many VX-II, VX-III and FX scopes. Have never had any problem with them at all. However, until Leupold comes clean about the source of their scopes; i will buy nothing from them. A lot of the Leupold optics are made in China. Problem is that Leupold will not tell you which ones are made in China. This is their corporate spiel on the matter:

"All Leupold Gold Ring products are made here in Beaverton Oregon.Always have been. The glass has always come from Asia. In order for usto acquire the quantity of optical glass that we need and the qualitythat we need that has always been our best source. But everything elseis made and built here in Beaverton Oregon. Sharon"
Remember the counterfeit Leupold scopes and the lawsuit that Leupold filed aganst the Chinese maker of those counterfeit
scopes? The Chinese company who counterfeited those scopes is non other than the company that makes a lot of spotting scopes, binos, range finders and rifle scopes for Leupold.

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/fo...&PN=1&get=last
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the majority of the glass comes from the far east some place and then is assembled in the U.S. I don't think, in general, that Leupolds are bad scopes, it does seem that the prices are higher for the same quality you can get in other brands.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 AM
bigcountry

I have sent back 2 leupolds to be repaired. One was a VariXII and another was a VariXIII. Both fogged up.

I have owned dozens. You won't find too many scopes that reliabily move thier recticle like a leupold for long range. I have tested several leupolds and if I move the scope up 6MOA, it moves 6MOA. As long as you keep the recticle centered and not near the edge of adjustment.

I have tested out burris signature, black diamonds, conquests, nikons mararchs.

The nikon was the only other that passed this test. In all fairness the conquests was not equipped with target turrets.

I was worried about the VXII because of thier 3 piece construction. But I was 23ft in a tree 2 years ago. My slug gun shoulder sling broke and was hanging on a hook, and the gun fell all the way to the bottom. Impact was hard, it thru out the shell. I climbed down figuring it was toast. But all was fine. Slight stock cracks. But figured sure it was off zero. Took a test shot at 30 yards, and hit a leaf. Next day went to the range and that thing was still zeroed. I never questioned the VX line again.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

got a vari-x II 3-9x40...forget when it was made...looked it up once...i bought it used 10 years ago...not a single issue....

and bought a new VX-II 6-18x40AOT a few years back...not a single issue and its on my groundhog rig....like BC said, if i run up 10 clicks and left 3 clicks, take the shot, then return down 10 and right 3, my zero is there...i do it multiple times on a good hunt...you wont find too many scopes that can pass the tracking test!!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me the Rifleman and VXI are not worthy of carrying the Leupold name. I have sent a VXIII back once, was fairly treated and the problem rectified.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep in mind, Leupold owners are a very loyal group !
Old 02-13-2010, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have two VX 111 in 1.5x5, and one vx11 in 3x9, all over 15 years old. The 1.5x 5s see heavy use, and have never had any problem, the 3x9 not as much use but the same.
my 2nd 1.5x5 I bought used, and gave Leupold a call inquiring about having the scope gone over before mounting on a 45-70, to ensure no problems. Of course, they said, send it in and you will have it back in a week, no charge. It is very difficult to beat that service. I have 100% confidence in them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.