Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

Anybody that would be dumb enough to buy a Vx1 deserves to get crap. You bought it for name. Didn't you?
Really? Exactly what part of them is crap? I have a couple of them and for a hunting scope they are a really good peice of equipment for the money. They are the exact same scope as the Vari-X II, just renamed the VXI, that was concidered a great scope a few years back. Back when the Vari-X II was made it was the scope to have and was the scope everbody judged scopes by, matter of fact it was probably Leupolds most popular and sucsessful scope, they changed the name and now its a piece of crap? Now the Rifleman by Leupold is a defferent story, they are not worth wasting your time or money with. I have had nothing but great luck out of my VXI's, better than ANY Nikon I have ever owned. Another post I read, a poster claimed the VXII has only 88% light transmition, LMAO!! Where do you guys come up with this crap? It has 94%.

Last edited by fritz1; 06-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I love my VXI that i have on my M77, it only takes me 3 shells to check my zero from the year before. Like fritz, every nikon that i have is a pos, and pricey reminder not to buy any more.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
TQS
Spike

http://www.topqualityscopes.com/top-7-rifle-scopes/

Top 7 rifle scopes
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TQS
LOL. That's funny.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just read a test of the new scopes, Leupold VXII came out on top, they had the best low light capabilty of all scopes tested, by far. The Bushnell Ultra Legend HD came in second, as the best buy. What was interesting was some of the scopes that they beat out included, Ziess, Lieca, and Swarovski. They didnt even test Leupolds top of the line but a $300 VXII, it still rated higher in all aspects of even the $2500 scopes they were tested against.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ode-1001355429

Last edited by fritz1; 08-22-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default Quality Depends on how much you spend ..

Quality and Features depends on how much money you spend on scope or sight, Here i see many comments against burris but i think Burris scopes and sights are not bad. I have read many positive reviews about Burris 300234 Fastfire III
Old 01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe the better question is; What are the 5 "best buys" VS the 5 "biggest disappointments" ?

It's all about the $$$ VS quality & value !!!

$100, $300, $600, $1000, $2,500...............
Old 04-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I disagree with this. I love my Burris and it's by far my favorite scope I've had. Leupolds included although I've never had a Mark 4. I've also never had any issues with Simmons scopes although not usually as clear as Burris.

I've had several issues with the Leupold I have as well as 2 other friends I know that have Leupolds whom have also had problems with theirs. Once you send it in they are good about taking care of it but none of them seem to hold up. None of us have had issues with Simmons nor Burris scopes. I've not had issues with Tasco's either but I know some do. No way I'd say they are the worst scopes and especially not Burris.
This is BS. I say that based on ~30 years experience with about every scope know to mankind. Leupold has the lowest failure rate IME; exactly one out of the several (probably 50+). It was an old VXII dropped off a rock... Leupold still fixed it and sent it back to me for free.

Other than that, I've only used Leupold CS for scope mods like M1 turret installs, custom turrets, custom crosshairs etc. I have a couple VX6s and put them optically on par with Swarovski. Best value out there IMO, with more options than any other.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fritz1
Really? Exactly what part of them is crap? I have a couple of them and for a hunting scope they are a really good peice of equipment for the money. They are the exact same scope as the Vari-X II, just renamed the VXI, that was concidered a great scope a few years back. Back when the Vari-X II was made it was the scope to have and was the scope everbody judged scopes by, matter of fact it was probably Leupolds most popular and sucsessful scope, they changed the name and now its a piece of crap? Now the Rifleman by Leupold is a defferent story, they are not worth wasting your time or money with. I have had nothing but great luck out of my VXI's, better than ANY Nikon I have ever owned. Another post I read, a poster claimed the VXII has only 88% light transmition, LMAO!! Where do you guys come up with this crap? It has 94%.

Good post.

I would take a Rifleman over any Jap scope save maybe a Bushy Elite. The VX1 (VXI, II, III are different from VX1, 2,3 etc.) is possibly the best value in riflescopes. They have the old VXII coatings. The VX2 has the old VXIII coatings.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Maybe the better question is; What are the 5 "best buys" VS the 5 "biggest disappointments" ?

It's all about the $$$ VS quality & value !!!

$100, $300, $600, $1000, $2,500...............
I somewhat agree. You usually get what you pay for.

I will say that my comparisons of a Leupold VX6 vs a Swarovski Z5 indicate the V6 to be on par or slightly better optically and ~$500 cheaper. Equal quality, on par or better optically and $500 cheaper seems to effectively argue your statement. Not always the case, however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.