Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Another Leupold Failure >

Another Leupold Failure

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Another Leupold Failure

Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Spike

OP - As previously asked - What model scope are we talking about??

Just curious - I have always heard great things about the Leupolds - BUT when the lower/budget priced scopes were introduced I asked about them and was told they are not the same quality..

What bases and rings are you using?

b
Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have all been Leupold VX-I's. Mine a 3x9x40 and his a 2x7x33. Can't remember what my other friends was. They aren't Leupolds expensive line however at $225-$250 they are still expensive enough that they should not fail. He says he didn't drop his.

I'm using Leupold rings and a base but I'm not sure what the other two were using.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding that the VX-1 scopes are simply a rebadged Vari-X II....which was a good dependable scope. I have one of each, the Vari-X II is 3-9x40 on a Ruger M77 30-06 and the VX-1 is a 2-7x33 on a T/C Omega muzzleloader. These two firearms have taken a bunch of deer and the scopes have always performed flawlessly.

Were these scopes bought from a dealer? Reason I ask is there have been a lot of "black market" Leupold scopes sold on places like ebay. These are not Leupold scopes as they are made in China....however it is my understanding they look identical on the outside.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have about a dozen Leupold scopes. None of them have ever given me any trouble at all. I will never, however, buy another Leupold riflescope.

Leupold had built a very good name for themselves over many decades by making and selling superior products. Now the panjandrums who run the company are cashing in on that name by having lots of stuff made in China. The quality of their made in China products largely sucks.

Leupold will not tell you that many of their products are made in China. This is typical of their run around:

"All Leupold Gold Ring products are made here in Beaverton Oregon. Always have been. The glass has always come from Asia. In order for usto acquire the quantity of optical glass that we need and the qualitythat we need that has always been our best source. But everything elseis made and built here in Beaverton Oregon. Sharon"
In keeping with the above statement; if is does not have a gold ring it is made in China. Gold ring scopes used to say "Made in the USA" on them: No longer.

Leupold Rifleman scopes are made in China. SWFA lies and says they are made in the USA.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of this and look at Country of Origin: China

http://www.mcsports.com/product/inde...entPage=family

I have been told that VX-1 production has been transferred to China also. i cannot confirm that. One thing for sure, if there is a green ring on the scope it is made in China. If it has a gold ring on it, it may be made in the USA.

Last edited by falcon; 11-10-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

20 years on my first Leopold (2.5x7 with the friction as they all were originally) after being dropped it went bad. Sent it in and got a brand new one back for free, I'm going on 18 years with this one. My dad has had three over his 50 years of hunting and not one problem among them.
I'm guessing three things are going on. 1. Wind/weather conditions 2. Ammo changes (I've seen impact changes of 5-6" even with the exact same ammo, but from a different lot) 3. some problem with the rings.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
It is my understanding that the VX-1 scopes are simply a rebadged Vari-X II....which was a good dependable scope. I have one of each, the Vari-X II is 3-9x40 on a Ruger M77 30-06 and the VX-1 is a 2-7x33 on a T/C Omega muzzleloader. These two firearms have taken a bunch of deer and the scopes have always performed flawlessly.

Were these scopes bought from a dealer? Reason I ask is there have been a lot of "black market" Leupold scopes sold on places like ebay. These are not Leupold scopes as they are made in China....however it is my understanding they look identical on the outside.
I don't think so, the older Vari X lines were of higher quality than the newer VX lines. The VX 1 is about a half step above the Rifleman quality wise. The only advantage to the VX II over the Vari X II is that it is a little lighter.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
I don't think so, the older Vari X lines were of higher quality than the newer VX lines. The VX 1 is about a half step above the Rifleman quality wise. The only advantage to the VX II over the Vari X II is that it is a little lighter.
From Leupold:
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/reso.../#questionFive

A thread from here discussing the differences:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/deer...-vari-xii.html
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Spike

Default Leupolds

I have Leupolds on all my rifles with the exception of one. I use Warne mounts only and Leupold vx2's, vx3's, & vx-L's and have never had any issues. i do stop by and shoot 3 rounds on my way to the ranch to hunt but they are dead on or 1 click off depending on the wind. it doesnt matter what the scope is if it isnt mounted correctly. also u have to shoot the same ammo everytime or resight the gun in, i roll my own, factory ammo just doesnt cut it. just my .02
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Ok, so explain to me how a VX I or Rifleman is a better scope than the Vari X II. You can't because it isn't. Of course the manufacturer is going to say that their equal. I'd bet even money that if you posted a poll to see which most people who have owned both on here prefer the winner will be the Vari X II over the VX II.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
Ok, so explain to me how a VX I or Rifleman is a better scope than the Vari X II. You can't because it isn't. Of course the manufacturer is going to say that their equal. I'd bet even money that if you posted a poll to see which most people who have owned both on here prefer the winner will be the Vari X II over the VX II.

What makes the older Vari-X ii scopes so much better when they both have the same lens coatings, friction adjustments, and 2 piece tubes?

Fact is only Leupold can answer this for sure, that is unless someone has the testing equipment to test the two lines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.