Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Need help with shotgun scope >

Need help with shotgun scope

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need help with shotgun scope

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Especially when referring to optics.
I used to agree with this statement. Now I get chuckle when I hear it. I have a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope ($320) I bought brand new in 2004. It's going back to Leupold for the third time now. I've had it on 3 different guns and I can't get any of them to group with this scope. When I put a different scope on these guns they group fine. Leupold has always attempted to fix it, that I give them credit for, I'm just running out of money with the price of sabot slugs lol. I'm going to give them one more shot at it. If they can't fix it this time, I'm moving to a different brand all together. Maybe I'll give Burris a try.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

for the $100 range try the Bushnell Trophy scopes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

Bushnell Banner muzzleloader/shotgun scope.$70 at Cabelas but I found one a Dicks Sporting Goods for the same price but saved on shipping since I picked it up local.I dont agree with the ''you get what you pay for'' phrase.This scope has never let me down and has be through so many shots and me bumping it up against trees.Look at all the reviews at Cabelas or Bassproshop on a scope in your price range and pick the one that has the most positive reviews.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hi,
I'm new here so probably not much respect but I'm going to stick my 2 cents in anyhow.

Get a Nikon Slughunter. You can't go wrong with Nikon glass ever.

I have a 3-9 x 40 slug hunter on my 870 and since I wear glasses and have poor eyesight, the 5 inches of eye-relief is sure nice. Its a darn high quality unit that sucks in the light.

Mount it with a pair of weaver grand slam steel rings and you'll be all set to go.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Nikon Slughunter 100%..great scope. built for the recoil of a 12ga slug gun and in camo it looks awesome.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Got to Natchez and buy a Simmons 4X32 Shotgun Pro-Diamond scope for about $40. This is a very good shotgun and muzzleloader scope for the money. It is good in low light. Had one on a muzzleloader: In six years it was banged around in my truck for thousands of miles and over 1,500 rounds before it went bad. My Remington 870 wears this same scope.
I agree! These are good scopes for three times the money. Good light transmission, fast target acquisition, long eye relief and holds zero for ever! I have had one on a combo deer/turkey gun for 15+ years and have never had to re-zero it. I have also had one on a muzzle loader for several years that has been through two young boys first hunting trips that has performed flawlessly. I cant say the same for the nikon omega thats on my encore.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a 4 year old thread but I too have Simmons 4X32 Shotgun Pro-Diamond scope on my TC Omega and it has worked flawlessly for years now. Must have a gota good one....lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 on my Browning BPS cantilever barrel... anf it has held up great for the last 10yrs.... gotta make sure you get good quality steel rings on a slug gun!!!

My dad did have a Nikon 3-9 x 40 Buckmaster go bad on his .50cal Encore once... but they replaced it... and its been fine ever since...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
for the $100 range try the Bushnell Trophy scopes
Ive got one of those and it shoots about 6 inches lower on 9 power than it does on 3 power. Pretty good otherwise and its just one sample.

I replace it with a burris and my groups got a little better.