Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Need help with shotgun scope >

Need help with shotgun scope

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need help with shotgun scope

Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Spike

Default Need help with shotgun scope

Hello,
I am looking for an inexpensive shotgun scope for my 870 for white tail hunting. My eyes are getting worse and my red dot isnt doing it for me anymore. I was looking on http://www.natchezss.com/ and seen they have some good deals going on. But it is hard to know what is what. I am looking for spend under a $100. There is a SImmons Whitetail Classic for $69 when origanally it is $150. But it says rifle scope...please help..Thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Especially when referring to optics. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time or money mounting a $70 scope on a heavy recoiling weapon like a shotgun.... Unless it's really a quality scope that you got a deal on with eBay or something. If it were me, I would get a Nikon Slughunter or a Leupold Ultimate Slam and call it a day.

P.S. You only need to post this in one section...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

the nikon slug hunter is nice also cabelas brand slug gun scope for under $100
Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got to Natchez and buy a Simmons 4X32 Shotgun Pro-Diamond scope for about $40. This is a very good shotgun and muzzleloader scope for the money. It is good in low light. Had one on a muzzleloader: In six years it was banged around in my truck for thousands of miles and over 1,500 rounds before it went bad. My Remington 870 wears this same scope.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Spike

I was going to ask about the cabela's slug gun scope for $100. any good?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x shotgun/muzzleloader scope that held up to my ml last year.. I saw one on ebay the other night for about $90..

Brian
Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also agree you pay for what you get.

I put a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro on my 11-87 with a 21" Cantelever barrel tube - slugs I use the rifled tube - turkeys I use a Hastings Extended extra full choke - 5 yrs ago. I have not adjusted this scope for accuracy ever since I dialed it in the first time 5 yrs ago. I shoot both slugs for deer and then change the choke to use Turkey loads.

It has been smack on each time I sight it in before either deer or turkey seasons and like you my eyesight had gotten so I could not focus on the back ramp to the front sight on open sights.

It was well worth the money.

JW
Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope

Another vote for the Nikon Slughunter.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Spike

What about a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn shotgun/muzzy scope? I see they have them on sale at BassPro? Are they any good?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have several bushnell banners on shotguns and muzzys through the years. they are a very good scope for the money and ive never had a proble. i love the circle dot reticle. i always tell people if you want a good cheap scope get a bushnell banner . after that get something like a leupold vx2 or nicer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.