Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

simmons scopes

Old 05-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default simmons scopes

I don't know how you guys feel about them. I don't really care for them myself. I have a Weaver 2-10x 38 on my .223. I like it more than the Simmons that came on my Savage .204 Ruger. I thought they were made by the same company though. Did Simmons ever make a good scope? I just bought another Savage in .223 . This one came with an older Simmons. It is a 3-9x 33,I think.The short story is that I didn't like my .204 so I sold it and got another .223.Now that I am getting this new [used] gun I find myself wondering what to do with it.In the past I have had 4 Simmons scopes. 2 had problems and 2 didn't. 50% is only a good average forbaseball. I plan to use it on groundhogs andcoyote[if I ever get a shot at one]. I guess I was looking for some advice on what to do with this new gun. Would you guysswap out scopes immediatly,or would you give the existing scope a chance?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: simmons scopes

I don't care much for the Simmons scopes myself either. If you're after coyotes you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a few around Columbus. I had one run across Rt. 33 in front of me on my way in to town this morning!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 AM

My personal opinion is that i would never buy a simmons scope,but if i aquired one on a gun i would give it a try .A 223 isnt going to produce enough recoil to ever have to worry about moving the point of impact. I would sight it in and bump it around a little and reshoot it ,if it was still on then i wouldnt worry, there usualy pretty clear. Its just like high def tv i could care less about its clarity if it works dont fix it use the extra money for something you realy need. and if you want a new scope for the money you cant beat bushnell ive never had any problems with them even on a 300 weatherby mag.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I see them all the time at night in Columbus as well. I just don't see them when I have a gun in my hands. Thanks for the advice guys. I will give the Simmons a chance for a while. If it doesn't work well enough for me, I will get another Weaver or something. Unless you guys can come up with a better scope for the money.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Vortex 6-24x50 that I am putting on a .257 Wby Mag. I haven't mounted it yet, but it seems to be extremely clear. I picked it up at a pretty good price (less than $200). I intend to whack a few coyotes with this setup.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Let me know how you do with it. So , you live down there in Lancaster. I sometime work at Rivervalley Plaza. It has the Goody's and the TJ Max in it. If you see a bucket van there it is most likely me.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah live in Lancaster and work in the south end of Columbus. The coyote I saw this morning came out of the golf driving range and ran across the corn field just north of the Vo-Tech. It was at about 0630 as I was driving in to work. I see them all the time along 33, even in broad daylight. My wife and I were coming back from a trip to Sam's Club in Reynoldsburg last fall and one ran out of a housing development and tried to cross the road. He was confused by the construction barriers and just stood there in somebody's front yard as we drove past.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have several different brand of scopes Leopold,Nikon,Bushnell, and Simmons. My Leopold is the nicest but I have to say my Simmons Aetec gathers more light that any of them. I own two and love them. But thats the only series of the Simmons I've had to do with.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would never trust a hunt to a Simmons scope.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I have had 4 as I said before. I think they were all 8 point. [ whatever Savage uses] 3 3-9x40 and 1 4-12x40. Two of the 3-9 were great. The other two were junk. The 4-12 wouldn't zero and the other wouldn't hold it's zero. Savage uses these on their package guns. I had one on a .17hmr And 2 diferent ones on my .204. I started with a 4-12x40 on my .223.[ Against the advice I was given on this site[ live and learn I guess].] I ended up with a Weaver 2-10x38 classic on my .223 . No complaints so far. Like I said before 50% is only good in baseball. Weaver has changed hands in the last coule of years or so. Are they still the company they were before, or should I look at other scopes?

Quick Reply: simmons scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.