Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Beginner LI Sound Fisherman >

Beginner LI Sound Fisherman

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Beginner LI Sound Fisherman

Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Beginner LI Sound Fisherman

Family just bought a boat that will be stored in Old Saybrook, Ct. I've done alot of bass and pike fishing, but no saltwater experience. The boat is a Wellcraft 220 Sportsman, which should be good for fishing. Any suggestions on rod/reel setups or terminal tackle that would be good to start off with. I have done some jigging for blues, so I'm familiar with the technique but not so much tackle. I'd like to get into the stripers as well. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Beginner LI Sound Fisherman

You didn't say if you wanted spinning or conventional. I'd start out with a conventional setup. Penn reel all the way 25-30 lb capabilities such as 113, squidder or jigmaster. 6-7 ' rod to match and various test 15&25 floro-carbon leaders. This should take you through chunking or eeling for strippers and also drifting for fluke as well as adding a wire leader for blues.
For trolling I would go with a 114 or 4/0 penn senator with wire line and a 7-8 ft md action rod with fuji guides and a roller tip to handle the wire, some umbrella rigs in red or green and various bunker spoons.

Spinning Id go with thepenn 5500ss or 6500ss with12- 15lb on the5500 and 20-25lb on the 6500 with rods in the 6'6"-8' range . These are the most fun to enjoy the fight and not only put food on the table.
I would always recommend floro carbon for fluke and bass but no sense waisting good money on blues.

Good luck and tight lines. Ps there's a nice hole NE of the Lady Liberty that holds some nice Bass. It was a secret till espn did a show with the statue in the back ground[:@]

Oh, and don't forget a lighter rod for flounders up at shinnecock.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:41 PM

Thanks. I would probably lean towards conventional. Most of my freshwater stuff is baitcasters on a 6-6 rod. I'm not going be there all of the time and the rest of the family will probably stick to bottom-fishing with live bait. The gear needs to suit both myself and others, experienced (can handle a rod/reel) to the inexperienced ( can backlash a zebco push button). So I should keep it simple to start with. What sort of artificials might be worth trying?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bombers, Pencil Poppers, Bucktails,creek chub stripper strike, any of the gibbs lures,mann's stretch lures, You can even use your rattle traps for weakfish or bass.
Plastic eels, Any thing with a silver flash will catch blues,ie jigs & spoons.