Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Jersey Fluke........ >

Jersey Fluke........

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Jersey Fluke........

Old 07-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Jersey Fluke........

Man....It`s been tough latley.I fish out of Cape Horn Marina,Tuckerton N.J.. Went out June 29, July2, and today July9th.These fluke have been finicky.We caught 5 keepers,all 16 1/2 inches today.If we had a rolling pin on the boat,we would have limited out!!So many throwbacks.And this is the best that we have done so far this year.I talk to alot of other anglers and its the same story.The surface temp in the bay is about 75 deg.,they seem to be biting better in the bay than in the ocean.The ocean surface temp is 70 to 74 deg. on a wreck about 5 miles out!And the bite is pretty slow and spotty.We did a little better in 45feet off a wreck than we did in 55 feet on a wreck.
I was talking to the owner of the marina and he said that there are divers spearfishing for fluke.They said that in 50 feet of water, the bottom is paved with fluke,and big ones!!The Biggest one they got that day was 10 1/2 lbs., and the smallest was about 7lbs.The temp in 50 feet of water on the bottom is 44 deg. and these big fish are dormant.You can poke them with your finger and they will move only about 2 foot and then burrow back in the sand.The ones that we were pulling off the bottom were so cold,they felt like they just came out of the freezer.I think what we need is about a week of west winds to get that water warmer.We are trying everything,from speering,killies,shedder,mackrel,clams,shedder squid,etc......

I know its still early and the best fluking is yet to come,but its been a long spring and i`m a little impatient.I`ll be heading out next week some time and I`ll keep yall posted or whoevers interested.

Anyway how is everybody else doin with the fluke so far?And where do you fish out of?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jersey Fluke........

beagle freak I live in tuckerton on the golf course atlantis. check out scott bait and tackle for updated reports on where and whhttp://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htmat is being caught. here is the link.

opps kind of messed that up but its great advise on where things are happening.

I don't have a boat so I am stuck on shore and have heard that people are doing pretty well with flounder on LBI with lots of shorts and a few keeper mixed in

Good luck to ya and hope you get that doormat for yourself.

Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 AM

Thanks Supermag,I`ll check this out.
My buddy just called me,and this guy that lives down the street from him stopped by Friday afternoon with a cooler full of Weakies he had caught ancored up in 30 foot of water in the mouth of the Mullica.I havent SEEN a weakie for about 2 years now.He said these things were about 4 pounds,good size.We are going to watch the weather report and head out thursday or friday morning and give it a shot.Gotta take the fly rod out for these babies!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's been the same here up at the Hook. Last year 99% were 16 1/4" and I expected this year to be better. We'll have to see. Here's a link to keep track of things in case you don't already have it. http://njfishing.com/ They also have a tv show on the weekends. Tight lines to ya.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:27 AM

I've been killin the fluke out by Maih Maul lighthouse ...all keepers
Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

It's been slow here too in the Raritan bay area. Most keepers we had so far was 6 in the boat. It WILL get better..I hope.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting, I may have to make a trip to jersey I use to fish a lot there but have taken up further ventures of fishing from NC to Mass following fish..lol

www.fishaholics.supreme-enterprise.net/
Old 08-04-2004, 09:29 PM

yea i went this morning caught a 24 inch fluke and a couploe other flukes and alota blues.