Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Any Salt Water Fishermen? >

Any Salt Water Fishermen?

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Any Salt Water Fishermen?

Old 01-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Salt Water Fishermen?

Skates are much better eating. Sting ray meat is stringy.

Scott Meier
White OAk Lodge
Old 01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am very familiar with fishing on the beach between Melbourne and Sebastion on the east coast of Fla as well as the outer banks along the N.C. shore and off shore between fla and the carolinas also. I love shark fishing along the coast as the bait don't make too much difference, when they come close to shore at night to feed, there hungry. I use to use live whiting or even a dang sailors choice, what ever I could catch in the cast net prior to dark, sometimes I would use the wife's stocking to wrap the bait in so the crabs don't get it first and then I would run the bait out on a surf board, but not too far out cause I'd want to be in the first trough that runs parallel to the beach, depending on the tide, but its not out there very far, I have been buzzed by sharks so close while doing this, that I could of actually touched them, using a 6 #0 penn reel with a rod that has ball bearing guides I caught my share of sharks, but sometimes the scarest part is running your bait out on the surfboard after dark after you had a shark run or had caught one. My friend at the time caught a 15'-6" tiger as browns and hammerheads were very common, but we released thoughs and the best eating ones were the black-tips under 100#s. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 01-26-2004, 09:14 AM

definetely if you want to eat sharks stay with the small black tips
Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM

Sounds like we have a bit in common..........."crazyness". I like your idea of the surfboard though. I usually just walk out to my chest with everything rigged up and give it a good hurl for another 10-15 yards.........Kinda' difficult to cast when you're in that deep. It sucks if you get a bad cast though............you just have to reel it back in and do it all over (hopefully nothing follows it)

Yes, it's a bit nerve racking when you've just hooked or caught one and have to bait up and go back out in the dark[]

I saw a guy one time on a pier use a balloon as his bobber and a 2 foot, half-dead/cut baracuda. The current took the balloon out. It worked well for him. The result was a 7' black tip. I don't think that would work from the shore though??

Say what is the min. size for a keeper black tip??

Bn'R
Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bucknrut, there was no size limit at the time when I was fishing there but there was a limit on how many a person could keep, the regs change every year and a person gotta stay on top of them or they'll find themselves on the wrong side of the law.
I have heard of the balloon float but that depends on how swift the currents assiociated with the tides and winds are cause sometimes you gotta use a heck of a lot of weight to keep the bait down but at the same time, have the sensitivity to set up on a pick up. Get the big one and let me know how you do.
Ace, Sebastion Inlet is great for snook fishing, done my share of it there using buck tail jigs and Bombers. Done a lot of diving through the inlet also picking up lobsters, anchors and fishing riggs and saw snook stacked up like condos, the best snook fishing and concentrations were on the North side on either side of the bridge and 2 hours either side of low tide, fish only at night and sleigh the hell outa them, good luck, Bobby
Old 02-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well, Well since the hunting season has gone now it's time to restring the reels and take out my Whuppin Stick and abuse those Okuma Reels. I'll peek in more often that I see we have some interest in the SaltWater Forum.http://knock_boots.tripod.com/fishin...lub/index.html
Old 02-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went fishing in the ocean by boat when i was in 5th grade. I haven't done it since but i would definelty do it again whenever i get a chance. I think in the future when i settle down and have a family. I would like to take my son and/or daughter ocean fishing like my dad did. I know we were going after Cod(sp?) but we mainly caught some large orange fish. I don't remember what those were called but we caught a whole bunch. One of the guys who was fishing caught a small shark so that was pretty neat to watch.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

well there are two things that sharks eat like they are candy. One is barracuda the other is stingrays. Use a wing of a stingray or if you get lucky and catch a cuda use that.

I lived in florida for 4 years down in port charlotte fl on the west coast and I used live lady fish also and have had great luck with them too.

Have fun down in Fl. I really miss it down there and wish I could move back there some day.

Brian
Old 02-03-2004, 08:36 AM

Best baits 1. live pifish
2. live mullet 3-5 inches long

everything eats these two
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe how many fish eat pinfish. If I were a fish, wouldn't want to eat one of those things. I hate trying to get them out of the live well. I must say, though, they sure do catch big grouper in a hurry.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge

Quick Reply: Any Salt Water Fishermen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.