Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
Don't forget claming >

Don't forget claming

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Don't forget claming

Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Don't forget claming

If you going to take a vacation at the beach, don't forget claiming. Just got back from the beach and had a blast. Never put a rod over but did kayak around the island and then choose to claim again that day. We were just BSing around with the clamers there. I told them that the area they were claiming was to picked over. When I can't feel around with my feet and find clams, it's too picked over. So we went out about 300 yeards towards the main land and started to find them. I pulled up around 100 in about 1.5 hours using just my feet. Most were mediums a few large and I through back the very large ones. I din't find any small ones which leads me to two conclusions. One, they were too small to feel with my feet before pushing them deeper into the mud. I doubt this because i should have found a few. Or they just weren't there in the area, which is more likely.

Bottom line, don't forget about these tasty creatures. It's cheap to do and on a hot day where else would you want to be but in the water?

Check back and I will post a different way to crab instead of standing on a pier with everyone else.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mousey is out digging clams? With his feet even..LOL
i just do it the easy way and spend a few dollars with a clam digger.. Besides it is not good advice to give advice about claming with so many different laws that are out there. Here Red tide has almost every clam flat in the state shut down right now. it is the worst it has ever been due to so much rain fall this past month. It has not really stopped any as of yet either. Red tide can be very dangerous to your health.. It is cause by fresh water entering and mixing with salt water. Also you need permits here in order to dig clams period. Whether you intend for personal use or comercial use. The personal one is cheaper to purchase and can be purchase at the town's office you wish to dig in. Also there is a 2 inch law that are on clams up here and you can only keep a small percentage of clams under 2 inches. They make a ring to measure them with so it would be easier to judge them by. So becarefull as some places have strick laws that are enforced and could land some people into some pretty stiff fines..
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

He phil duh. There are laws everywhere you go when it comes to enjoying the fruits of the earth. Some places require licenses and permits for everything while other places don't require anything at all. A lot of places don't require don't require a fishing license to clam and crab but some places like Del do. As far as choosing to use my feet instead of the rake, I used the rake the day before in Del but didn't plan on claming the day I went kayaking in Md. However, I did find using my feet was a lot easier. The only let down was not getting the small 1.5 inch clams, which are legal where I was claming. So I threw out there the two possible reasons why I wasn't able to find them there since I was using my feet not the rake. I believe that that area wasn't for the smaller ones. On the other hand, most of my clams were around 2 and 2.5 inches.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Duh Mousey, when posting on a forum with young people on it. Perhaps it should be stated about the fact each state has it's own laws. Also it would be a good idea to check with in your state or area to make sure you know what they are..
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Well Duh Mousey, when posting on a forum with young people on it. Perhaps it should be stated about the fact each state has it's own laws. Also it would be a good idea to check with in your state or area to make sure you know what they are..
Hey phil, not everyone is dumb as a box of rocks like you. Not everyone needs a union boss or the government to help them get dressed in the morning. This is a saltwater fishing forum. We post things like fishing offshore, inshore and surf fishing. Every fricking state has its own fishing regulations. I guess under your new rule, no one should put a single post up unless they put the disclaimer down, *please check with the local laws of that state for all your fishing rules and regulations. That also must go for all the hunting posts as well since every state has different rules and regulations as well as private property issues. Why don't you request a permanent tag on everyone's posts down in the enhancement requests forum.

I guess we all know why every single item you buy in the store today has to come with a disclaimer like ones on the plastic wrappers. People like phil would be permanently lost out there.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey phil, not everyone is dumb as a box of rocks like you.
Yeah I know a fool when I see one.. It's to bad that some one like you wants to post stuff about other members regardless of what forum they are on.. Is it not? That is why you get your insults seeing hopw you have a good habit of it.. I also know Maine doesn't have any seashores as well.. Get a life..
Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Yeah I know a fool when I see one.. It's to bad that some one like you wants to post stuff about other members regardless of what forum they are on.. Is it not? That is why you get your insults seeing hopw you have a good habit of it.. I also know Maine doesn't have any seashores as well.. Get a life..
Hey phil, I don't remember anyone posting in the fresh water section about checking local water regulations. Did you know some states you can fish in all the waters because they are public and other states water is private? Don't want to shock you too much. We'll see if we can get disclaimers up on every post you read.

Just go ahead and amit you were being stupid when you made this statement:
Besides it is not good advice to give advice about claming with so many different laws that are out there.
Who really on the site takes a fishing trip to maine. I must of missed that all important posts on your state being a fishing magnet place. Last I checked most people prefer to go to warmer beach weather when going on vacation and fishing trips.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just go ahead and amit you were being stupid when you made this statement:
I will admit that was a stupid thing to do.. But, you are the one that has been trying to slam me whether I am on that particular post or not..

Who really on the site takes a fishing trip to maine. I must of missed that all important posts on your state being a fishing magnet place. Last I checked most people prefer to go to warmer beach weather when going on vacation and fishing trips.
You would be surprized at this one. Although this year has been somewhat of an off year. That is because of an off economy as well as a very wet and rainy year. believe it or not some folks prefer fresh water to swim in as well o rather than the salt water..
Do not forget the Halibut fishing as well as Bluefin Tunas and Striped Bass fishing..
We used to draw in a lot more fishermen before the gov put the Atlantic Salmon on the endanged listing.. They had just opened up catch and release fishing for them last year. Now the gov has even blocked that one so far anyways..
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pulled up around 100 in about 1.5 hours using just my feet.
We call it Clam dancing. Where /what island were you clamming?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I prefer Holts landing, Del, State park. You get great smaller clams there but a rake is a must. However, this last time I was at Assateague Island, Md.