Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Fishing off Tybee Island, Georgia??? >

Fishing off Tybee Island, Georgia???

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Fishing off Tybee Island, Georgia???

Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fishing off Tybee Island, Georgia???

ORIGINAL: thundermug

ORIGINAL: nc bearhunter

in salt water fishing the tides will pay off more than anything i have caught just as many fish in the middle of the day when the tide was right. i have fished 50 yrs in ne fl
What parts? I fish from Mayport down to Guana.
i grew up in st augustine and fished from daytona to jax many times was a member of fl shark club back in the 70s in the 60s my first job was working on a snapper boat out of st agustine
Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shark club in the 70's, huh? Did you know Blackie?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Shark club in the 70's, huh? Did you know Blackie?
i know of him he fished the jax pier when i was in the club i fished the beach by marineland and out of a boat i know he caught the big hammer there was a lot of stories about that. i got a tiger about as good though. i caught a 14'3" tiger out of a 17' boat off st augustine
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The original photo of him that was hanging in the pierhouse got blown away in a hurricane a few years back. I think it was Floyd. Tore our old pier to shreds. Now we have a new concrete pier that is over a quarter mile long.

We catch quite a few kingfish off of it in the summer.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

The original photo of him that was hanging in the pierhouse got blown away in a hurricane a few years back. I think it was Floyd. Tore our old pier to shreds. Now we have a new concrete pier that is over a quarter mile long.

We catch quite a few kingfish off of it in the summer.
sounds good i know that they used to catch a lot of kings off the old pier in jax. in st augustine i used to catch kings off the old pier when it was around 1000'
heck i remember when they used to let you shark fish off the old st augustine pier and the jax pier
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now, if you target shark they kick you off the pier...first you get a warning, then you get a 30 day suspension
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default Tybee Fishing ( Better late than Never)

Hey guys,
I have read some of the responses on here after my Uncle told me about this site. I just wanted to post for anyone visiting the area and is interested in fishing while on vacation. Here you have to fish the tides. The best times are two hours before high tide. If you fish on the downside of the tide, the only thing you will catch is possibly a skate or a shark. (if you are lucky) Fishing Saltwater varies from region to region. In Maine, Light has an effect as well as tide conditions. Some of the best stripe bass fishing is in the mouth of the Sagadahoc river.

In South Ga. The tides rule. There are very few rock formations here. Unless, you are fishing for trout in the Savannah river.(seasonal)

The Best baits to use here are Shrimp and squid.

The best place to fish is the North beach of Tybee (Near the Lighthouse). The pavilion pier, is too close to the public beaches to be effective during the daytime. So if you are going to fish the pier, Do so 2 hours before high tide in the evenings. The Back River Fishing pier on Tybee is a good place if you are fishing for sport. You will catch mostly small whiting and alot of shark. Shark use the Backriver as a spawning ground. So the sharks are VERY small.

You will need to have a Georgia fishing License to fish in the salt water here also. Check out the Ga. Dnr website for details.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scales and Tails Guide

Had a trip with them this summer, awesome and knowledgeable guide. Good price compared to other guides. Had a blast and am going again in a couple of months. You won't regret looking them up. Scales and Tails Inshore Fishing