Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Winter Blah...

Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Winter Blah...

Just wrapped up my last column for The Fisherman magazine back east here. It's been a great season of inshore and offshore species of fish being caught. Lots of striped bass weighing in over 40 pounds and bigger, great fluke fishing, sea bass, and more.
We had our first blast of winter two days ago with 5 inches of snow. Not a big deal by many standards, but it is a reminder that winter is here and another season has come and gone.

I hope to get some ice fishing in upstate New York.

Anyone still fishing saltwater?

Joel
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winter Blah...

Im still bluefinning here, and the speckeled trout bite is good. I would do more,b ut the duck hunting right now is just too good.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

but it is a reminder that winter is here and another season has come and gone.
Not over yet, you still have Blackfish, Ling, Winter Flounder, and the stray Cod and hake to look forward to.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our grouperare heating up offshore now and the speckled trout bite is steady. I am suppose to go grouper fishing in a month when our deer season closes, so i will check back in with a report then.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Spike

I feel the same way about winter. Its basically the season to give you some time to re rig, work on the boats, and get excited for the spring bite to come.

Unbelievable, live bait fishing in 2008 mackeral and poggies hung around for the longets ive seen...No better way to fish than with liveys.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ko1593

I feel the same way about winter. Its basically the season to give you some time to re rig, work on the boats, and get excited for the spring bite to come.

Unbelievable, live bait fishing in 2008 mackeral and poggies hung around for the longets ive seen...No better way to fish than with liveys.
agreed.. i cannot wait for the spring to come.. that way i can get some good fishing in.