Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Lead weight tip

Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Lead weight tip

I was calling around looking for used spark plugs for fishing on the jetties. For some reason I missed place about 20 of the ones I have stashed somewhere. Anyway, my local dealership service manager asked why I wanted them. I told him I use them as weights on the jetties because if I lost them they were free anyway. That's when he told me about thebucket of wheel weights they have. It turns out they throw the old ones in a 5 gallon bucket and then dump it in the trash when it's full. I never bought the molds due to having to buy the lead. Now I'm looking into the molds.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lead weight tip

Where are you from and what jetties? As far as lead, you could go around and ask roofers if they have any for sale. (used on old houses around vent pipes)they're only going to scap them, and lead is not worth much when your selling, only when your buying. You can give them a little over market value and you'll both make out.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm from NC and love to go to Ocean City, Md and fish the main jetty for tog. The used wheel weights are very abundant and come at the right price, free. Used spark plugs were what we would use because they to were free.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what we've been making mudhooks for years with.
What is a mudhook? It is a weight similar in appearance to a sputnik that we use when kingfishing from our pier.
Just imaging a grappling hook, made with 12 gauge steel wire with 4-6 ounces of lead on it.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Spike

the wheel weight will work, but it is more brittle than lead. it tends to break easier.