Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 St. Augustine, Florida >

St. Augustine, Florida

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

St. Augustine, Florida

Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default St. Augustine, Florida

ill be fishing anywhere i can but probably not from a boat since im not a local. me and my bud are going down to fish and other fun stuff. but mostly fish. what kind of stuff should we bring. i am a major bass fisherman. should i bring some swimbaits? saltwater tubes? saltwater spinners? live bait? i havent been shore fishing in about 2 summers.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: St. Augustine, Florida

end of june. like 21-28 or so
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM

If you are going to be doing the salktwater bit there, then just hit the local bait shop when you get there. Most of the fishing on the pier there is down with a 2 hook bottom rig. Sinker on the bottom, and then 2 hooks coming off the main line.Buy the rigsthat aremade of wire since if you get into bluefish, or some of the others that have good teeth, you will lose a lot of rigs. If you are interested in catching some of the larger more interesting critters like shark, the occasional cobia or Mackeral, you will need something a little larger. The local shop should be able to help you there. I suggest using at least 4 ounces of lead at a minimum. You really should pick up some of the pyramid type sinkers. Any of the round ones will roll in the current, tide, and with a good wind on the line.You are for the most part going to want to use the smallest hooks you have. Seriously, think something that you would use for large bluegill for most if it. Trust me when I say that smaller hooks for the most part will equall more hookups. You are going to want a few larger hooks but nothing really overkill. You can also try a few mid sized spoons for just casting and maybe a couple jigs. As for the rest of your bait, try to find a bait shop there that is selling local caught shrimp or squid.If you know how to use one, you can also try a cast net for fresh shrimp on some of the back wayer, bst at low tide, and near shore andsea grass. If you godown on the beach with a cast net, you can get mullet, pinfish and other small baitfish. With your shrimp, remove the heads, the end of the tails, and peel it before putting it on the hook. you will get more hookups for sure that way.
The pier in St Auggie FL is, or was a pay to use pier. I think it was only a couple $$ a day to fish there. You can also drive about an hour north to Jacksonville, and there is good fishing there as well on that pier. If the weather on the pier is too rough, then head up A1A past the beaches, and you will come to a large bridge that goes over the river a sort of intercoastal thing. There are a couple of fishing piers under the bridge as well.

Hope that this helps. if you have any more questions, shoot me a PM.

Good Luck
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah thank you. i was planning on using shrimp and cigar minnows. but last time i used about a 2/o and 3/o ciclre hooks. and some smaller size 1's
Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would find a jetty and surf fish around it mostly and walk by the canals and see if you can find a dock to fish by, drum snook and alot of other critters will hang out there, if you want some real action go with a zara spook
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

how big of a spook? i have about 3 or 4 sizes
and which color
Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go with a black on silver colored spook in the big size. THey work like a charm and the x raps work well too. IF nothing else maybe you could rent a canoe or kayak for a day and play around in the bay as well, that should increase your chances of redfish and trout
Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

the big size? do you mean the 6 inch or the one that is like 10 inches?

and the x-raps, could i use them in the surf? or should i toss them in the bays and estruaries?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 in or 10 in I would use the xraps in the bays and estuaries
Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you come up to Jacksonville beach pier, i will set you up with some tackle. Jax beach pier is my stomping grounds. www.jacksonvillebeachpier.comThere is a forum where you can see pics of what we catch.

Quick Reply: St. Augustine, Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.