Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 first timer, lots of questions >

first timer, lots of questions

Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

first timer, lots of questions

Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Default RE: first timer, lots of questions

awesome. i think if we go we will probably go during the week when there isnt as many people. what bait do you use that works the best down there? we were thinkinmaybe shrimp sand crabs. we arent really sure. right now my main pole is an ugly stick with an open faced reel with 20 lb. line. i got a couple crappy zebcos on pretty good poles that we are gonna screw around with too.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zebs have caught more fish than any other reel, so those will work fine. Use shrimp. peel them and use the meat from the tail. It only takes a piece about an inch long. The size of the hook doesn't need to be big, as the majority of the whiting are around a pound or so, but there are some slot reds coming up also. Use a hook smaller than a 1/0. You don't really need 20 lb. line either, you can go as light as 10. Just set your drag properly.

You can also use clams, and they can be frozen. Frozen are bigger than the fresh so you get more for the bucks. Just cut a small piece and hook it.

At the pier you really don't have to cast, you can just drop it over the rail and catch fish.

Oh, I almost forgot the pompano are showing up now also.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

well i have 12 lb. on all of them so i think i will just leave them alone. thanks a LOT thundermug we had absolutly no idea what we were doin before you replyed to my post. ill post pics if we catch anything and remember to take pics. now im in countdown mode lol. leave next friday at 6am.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

saltwater fish taste amazing
ORIGINAL: kshafer

thanks guys sounds good. ya we'll see if we can go over there and check that pier out. the thing is its the only time that i will probably go in my life so i dont want to go buy a new reel just for it. i got some 20 pound line for my pole so i should be set. does anything taste half way decent that comes out of the ocean? thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spanish macks started hitting today. If you want to try and catch some of them you will need some steel leader.

Oh, BTW I forgot to mention...you need to take some needlenose pliers with you when you go fishing for saltwater fish! You see...these fish have teeth! AND they aren't afraid to show 'em to ya...up close!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:49 PM

alright awesome, ill have to find a pair of pliers. ill have my buddy pick up some leaders and we will just put them on so we can be sure that nothin chews through the line. so do you just fillet them about like any other fish?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, just filet 'em! and cook them.
My wife cooks em like this.
preheat oven to 350
put filet skin side down
spread a little butter on fish (not margerine. buttter should be room temp.)
sprinkle generously with Lowry's seasoned salt
3 or 4 drops lemon juice
Cook for 8-11 minutes till done. (1" thick meat)
meat will flake apart when done, if you stick a fork in it and twist.

For pompano? stick it in oven with no salt or seasoning, just a little butter
when it is thru cooking squeeze a little lemon juice and eat.

So, when are you coming down to fish? If you are here in the afternoon I might show up.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:40 AM

not real sure when we are fishin. we will get to the resort saturday. that may actually be the pier that we go to im not sure what the name of it is. they said its like 20 minutes away from the resort.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is some of what we catch at our pier.
You won't catch anuthing like these except for the 2nd one. the others aren't here yet, however there are some reds here but not the oversized ones. A red is the last pic. There are plenty of blues and the minimum size is 12" There is whiting, and the minimum is 12 also. Pompano are in and I think it's 14 for them. Stop at any wallmart in Florida or bait and tackle store and get a free fishing magazine. it is printed on paper like a newspaper but its smaller. It has all the info on size limits and pictures of what each fish looks like.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is the one you can catch, now.

Quick Reply: first timer, lots of questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.