Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Mid atlantic surf fishing. >

Mid atlantic surf fishing.

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Mid atlantic surf fishing.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:56 AM
bigcountry

Default Mid atlantic surf fishing.

Hey, never been surf fishing, but I got my 12ft poles, 20lb mono and a high low rig. Plan on cut bait. Any suggestions on my rig? I am fishing Eastern Shore of MD.

Hook size? I figured 3/0. Mostly catching blues, so I guess I need an leader for my high low rig, or could i just put the bait/hook right on the high low rig.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 PM

Default RE: Mid atlantic surf fishing.

you may want to try some wire snelled hooks on your hi-lo rig... I normally just use a long shank hook and hit'em quick, don't let them swallow the bait... remember you need a license in salt water now in Md... or run up the coast to Delaware and fish for free...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You fishing the ocean or Chesapeake? When you say eastern shore it makes me think of the Chesapeake. I would use cut spot and blood worms. You'll crush the croakers on blood worms. Just thread them up the shank of the hook. You can use half of the worm and be fine. If there are striped bass around, they will eat the bloodworms too.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:03 PM
bigcountry

Nope, not cheasapeake. Surf fishing.

I went this weekend first time at Assateague. I am hooked.

Well, went surf fishing first time for myself this Friday and Saturday.
Friday evening at low tide, caught two blues, one 24", the other around 22" on fresh bunker. Caught bunch of skates, and sandies. Left there around 11:00. Just couldn't see what I was doing. I hope you pros can give me a tip about fishing at night. Nothing hit the finger mullet. But the skates and sand sharkes loved the squid.

Saturday, got caught in the line up around 11:30. Started fishing around around 2:00. Around marker 24 or so. This time not so lucky. Caught bunch of skates. But ran out of bunker night before and used small part of a blue fillet and flavored squid. This time caught 3 small spotted trout, and a croaker. All hit the blue fish cut bait. I didn't know that they were so picky. Of course the skates and shark loved the squid.

Still nothing hit the finger mullet. Are you supposed to use the whole mullet or cut it up. Also, how big a piece of bunker cut bait to use? I had a heck of a time keeping the bunker on the line but it seemed to do the best.

Does blue fish cut bait attract much?

All in all I am hooked. Very fun.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you pros can give me a tip about fishing at night.
Carry a small light as you do hunting . Also if I'm fishing with bait I use the ends of a band-aid (sheer) to tape a glow stick to the rod tip to signal a hit. The band-aids come in handy when you get a dorsal in your hand.

how big a piece of bunker cut bait to use? I had a heck of a time keeping the bunker on the line but it seemed to do the best
usually 1-1/2" slices hooked on the top from one side out the other., through the eyes of the head piece.

Bluefish are canabalistic so you may catch more. Also they make good shark bait.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 PM
bigcountry

I am going to try the glow sticks. Going back over the 4th of july. Thanks for the replys

Old 07-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Big Country, Sorry I caught this late but I use to go to Assateague and surf fish alot, during family vacations. It is truely a blast I figured out how to catch dusky sharks in the 20 to 35 lb range My best day was 7. As you have probably learned the tide ripes and you need a weight that will hold on the bottom I use to get the ones that had the wire on them 3 to 4 ounces. I would also tie a legth of 50 lb. leader on that was twice as long as the rod this kept the bottom from ripping through the 20 lb. line (use a blood knot) use a slip wrig with a float and wire leader (I use to make my own leaders because the store bought ones used rubber on the loop through the hook that cost a few fish or find ones that use metal crimps) The most important piece is fresh croaker cut in strips (I iuse to get them on the bay side) hook it just once. Then wade out in the water and let it rip as far aspossible (Farther the better) even farther. set back and wait but hold on! I have had them drag it in the water. I hooked one shark I know wasn't a Dusky that guy took line and was jumping clean out to the far breakers and I missed him. Damn!!! I will never forget it. Oh well have fun maybe I will see you out there some day.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:52 PM

bluefish love cut bait..cut mullet is the best i have found and cut it up in 1 or 1 1/2 inch strips..i use a 4/0 hook and what ever weight sinker it takes to hold the bottom..also definitely use a wire leader about 18 inches long..I have been surf fishing for blues for 50 years and love to catch them..i usually cut off the head, gut em and put them in the smoker..remember they are an oily fish..and you alsoneed to bleed them when you catch them..just slit them at the tail and they will bleed out..good luck..
Old 07-13-2005, 10:20 AM

Damn bluefish.. WHen they blitz the beach they make a mess of things. I was down in Jersey fishing at Island Beach State Park a few weeks ago. We had a school of bunker hit the beach. The blues and stripers were all over them. Everybody in my crew wound up with fish except me. We had 3 stripers caught and 4 bluefish. Largest striper was 22 pounds. Largest blue tipped the scale at 11 pounds. We were all using clams.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing like tossing topwater plugs when the blues are breaking on top! Try a creek chub striper swipe and let the fun begin! Blues love Chrome, but they'll eat anything!

Quick Reply: Mid atlantic surf fishing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.